Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Aug 28, 2013 05:49 AM

Hello All,

Question 1: Am currently faced with the responsibility of planning a wireless infrastructure for an upcoming hotel. I have researched in the aruba network site for planning procedures and questions that I need to ask the client during the planning stage. Perhaps the airheads community can advice me too on  what questions I need to ask the client?

I intend to get an aruba SE to help me out a little later, but theses are just preliminary questions.

Question 2: I will need to intergrate a billing system too - I see that Aruba intergrates with nomadix and IP3 but the documentation is scanty. What other billing options are available? 

Question 3: What is the difference between the clearpass and airwave management system? I really don't get it.

*Can one replace the other?

*If so, which one is the better solution? 

*Do they also intergrate with the billing sustem plus any hospitality softwares that the restaurant might opt to use?

Question 4: Is there a solution that is an all in one infrastructure? By that I mean, intergrates the wireless system, The wired system, the hospitality programs that are third party, the billing system and mobile POS too?

Question 5: are there other considerations that I should take note of?

Regards,

fmo

• 2.  RE: Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Aug 28, 2013 06:11 AM

1. It's more based on the map/floor plans,you should design your ap deployment on: room size,floor type,conf area,open area's,outdoor Areas. (consider - that each room can have 4+ more devices working in the same time)

*try to figure from the client - how the lan infrastructure will be deployed - try to effect and build a smart lan infrastructure - if it's isn't designed yet*

2.Clearpss give u abilities to do billing in front of paypal and other methods as well.

*u may consider deploy nomadix GW for the guest vlan and connect it via Serial cable to the hotel PMS*

3.Airwave = Monitoring/Reporting/Alert/Design system (can also manage) , support multivendor

Clearpass = Smart auth /Access system (radius based) , support multivendor

Clearpss will fit your needs.

4.Sure :) Aruba Switches,Aruba controller + ClearPass

5. A lot :) , the QoS that your client want to give to each device,different service types,bandwidth, different services - check good the wall materials and other building infrastructure that might effect your coverage.

A POE is almost a must for hospitality deployment! Build a LANA infrastructure with 10/100/1000

I cannot write down all the know-how , but start simples with the floor plans + visual rf , be sure to fit the right wall materials.

And from there continue - based on all your client needs.

Regards.

Me

• 3.  RE: Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Aug 28, 2013 07:34 AM

1. Smart Lan Infrastucture? Any documentation about that?

2. Are you trying to say that Clearpass can replace Nomadix? Other than paypal, considering that the system is not highly developed in Russia, does Clearpass allow for credit card authorization too?

3. Clearpass does not have Monitoring system? Meaning I cannot really get rid of Airwave?

thank  you me for leading me in the right direction. I had forgotten about the wall material.

Regards,

fmo

• 4.  RE: Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Aug 28, 2013 08:16 AM

1. Smart Lan Infrastructure = :) You should  design smartly and based on site/client needs.

2. I think that in ver 6.2 of CPPM it can be achieve (as long that the hotel guest db can be connected via ip and not only via serial cable)

Clearpass support payment processing,

But one never goes directly to the credit card company, it is always through a processing gateway.  The list of transaction    processors are the ones supported. 

• Authorize.Net AIM
    • CyberSource
    • eWAY
    • Netregistry
    • Paypal (PayFlow Pro)
    • WorldPay

3. Clearpass got a dashboard & even reports - but it's for client/devices usage and not for network infrastructure status and usage.

• 5.  RE: Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Jan 16, 2014 02:31 AM

@kdisc98 wrote:

1. Smart Lan Infrastructure = :) You should  design smartly and based on site/client needs.

2. I think that in ver 6.2 of CPPM it can be achieve (as long that the hotel guest db can be connected via ip and not only via serial cable)

Clearpass support payment processing,

But one never goes directly to the credit card company, it is always through a processing gateway.  The list of transaction    processors are the ones supported. 

• Authorize.Net AIM
    • CyberSource
    • eWAY
    • Netregistry
    • Paypal (PayFlow Pro)
    • WorldPay

3. Clearpass got a dashboard & even reports - but it's for client/devices usage and not for network infrastructure status and usage.

is there any commercial impact in using processing gateways? how money will be accounted in merchants account??

do we have to sign up with transaction services what is mentioned above????? 

• 6.  RE: Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Aug 28, 2013 07:53 AM

One other thing, does clearpass intergrate with the hotel's “Property Management System” (PMS) even if it's third party?

• 7.  RE: Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Aug 28, 2013 08:18 AM

• 8.  RE: Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Aug 28, 2013 08:34 AM

Kdisc,

According to the post, PMS intergration has not been really successful. 

Thank you.

• 9.  RE: Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Aug 28, 2013 08:36 AM

yep.

that's why i wrote in the 2nd post:

*u may consider deploy nomadix GW for the guest vlan and connect it via Serial cable to the hotel PMS* (but thoese days there are hotels that can it can be done via ip and not Serial cable)

• 10.  RE: Planning for Wireless in the Hospitality Industry

Posted Aug 28, 2013 09:23 AM

I really appreciate your help! Thank you. You have been very helpfull