Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Please shoot holes in this IAP-324-US config for my home

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Please shoot holes in this IAP-324-US config for my home

Posted Apr 18, 2016 10:49 PM

I currently have a Meru based 802.11ac wiireless network in my home, and I am looking to replace it.   Based on previous experience with Aruba in a previous life and feedback from some current Aruba users I am considering evaluating (3) IAP-324-US.   I will only have a limited time to do this as I will have to do it within the 30 day return period. :(

My house is ~4000 square feet on the main level where the kitchen, great room, bedrooms, my office, etc are located, and the lower level is  ~3000 square feet.   I am currently thinking of (2) IAP-324-US on the main level, and (1) IAP-324-US on the lower level.  One of the reasons of only one on the lower level is the space is smaller and about 1/3 of the space does not have any walls between it (game room / bar).  I can always add a 2nd on the lower level if needed.   The APs on the upper level will be placed on shelves so the antennas will be pointed / angled up, and probably mounted on the AP-220-MNT-W1W.

For antennas, I am currently thinking it comes down to the AP-ANT-1B or the AP-ANT-1F.  My current thinking is going more towards the 1-B, as I would not expect cellular interference to be a big issue here at the house.

The AP locations are on a shelf in the Laundry Room, and a shelf at the rear of the Great Room (rear is side closest to Master Bedroom).

On the lower level it will probably be in the equipment room behind the theater, but that is a TBD.   I am trying to avoid ceiling mounting so I don't have holes to patch if I change things out in the future (hope to avoid needing to do that anytime soon, but just in case I would prefer to avoid.

I can provide 802.3at (25.2w) to the APs off of a Cisco SG300-10MPP with LACP (2x1000Base-T) to a 3750x core.

I am far from a wireless network expert, so feel free to ask me any details I have omitted, or point out any flaws in my thinking.   I have attached floor plans for the main floor and lower level.   

I am also curious outside of nbase-t connectivity is what are the differences between 320 series and the 330 series.

Lastly I am insterested in any feedback good, or issues with the IAP-324 or the 320 series in general.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Bryan

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Floor Plan Main Floor.pdf   130 KB 1 version
    pdf
    Floor Plan Lower Level.pdf   117 KB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Please shoot holes in this IAP-324-US config for my home

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2016 05:52 AM

Please see the ordering guide here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/og/OG_AP-320Series.pdf for the IAP-324.  You would order the AP-ANT-1W antennas so that you can flexibile with your mounting options (the antennas articulate).

Please see the product comparision between the 320 and the 330 series here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/networking/access-points/compare/#29199,51516

The rule of thumb here is that if you got decent coverage with a Meru 802.11ac part before, you can expect the same or slightly better coverage with Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Please shoot holes in this IAP-324-US config for my home

Posted Apr 24, 2016 12:08 AM

Colin,

Thank you for the input.

Is the IAP-334-US shipping yet?.   I cannot find it for sale anywhere online.

Until I upgrade my network to support Nbase-T, can I just use the two ethernet ports at 1Gb each in an LACP config to give me more that 1Gb throughput should I want / need it?

Thx

Bryan

• 4.  RE: Please shoot holes in this IAP-324-US config for my home

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 24, 2016 07:47 AM

bdgarcia,

The IAP-334 is not shipping yet (that I know of).  

Yes, you can combine the two ethernet ports of your AP with LACP to provide throughput over 1Gb.  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_42_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm?_ga=1.43038629.1615771646.1440445030#UG_files/Wired_port_profile/lacp_support.htm?Highlight=lacp

• 5.  RE: Please shoot holes in this IAP-324-US config for my home

Posted May 09, 2016 10:00 PM

Any information that can be shared on the target availability of the IAP-335-US?

Thx

Bryan

• 6.  RE: Please shoot holes in this IAP-324-US config for my home

Posted May 21, 2016 12:55 AM

Does anyone have any information on when the IAP-334-US will be available?   Also, I am looking to mount the access points in my attic.  The attic does not have insulation on the floor of the attic, instead it th instulation is sprayed foam on the underside of the roof deck.  So the attic while hot, is not as hot as an attic which does not have any insulation except on the floor.   This means it the only thing the 5ghz signal has to penetrate is the drywall and plaster on the ceiling.   I have found several articles that indicat that 5 Ghz through drywall has relatively low loss.   I really don't want to mount them to the ceiling upstairs so I can put them on a equipment shelf in the laundry room, and "decorative cove" on the wall that is above the hall to the office and master bedroom.   But from looking at the antenna radiation patterns it looks that having the antennas pointed down will give far better results.   My question is has any put an Aruba AP in a semi conditioned space like what I describe above.   I am sure the space in a hot / humd summer probably reaches somewhare in 100-110 space, but electrician who have had to do some wiring work up said it was much more tolerable that traditional attic.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Bryan