Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Plug an Aruba AP into a wired network card to make device wireless - Is this possible?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Plug an Aruba AP into a wired network card to make device wireless - Is this possible?

Posted Aug 23, 2012 06:16 AM

I have a medical device with a hardened O/S that is unconfigurable that I need to make mobile.  Problem is that it only has a wired network card. 

We have an extensive aruba network.

Can you plug an Aruba 105 AP into a standard network card making that particular device wireless?

If so, would you be so kind as to expalin how.

Many Thanks

Darren

• 2.  RE: Plug an Aruba AP into a wired network card to make device wireless - Is this possible?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2012 06:21 AM

You could turn that AP into a mesh Point and the other AP that it would mesh with into a Mesh Portal.  You would then program the enet1 in that AP group to tunnel the traffic back to the controller.

• 3.  RE: Plug an Aruba AP into a wired network card to make device wireless - Is this possible?

Posted Aug 23, 2012 06:28 AM

Thankyou for your quick reply cjoseph.

• 4.  RE: Plug an Aruba AP into a wired network card to make device wireless - Is this possible?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2012 06:34 AM

Darreno,

I can tell you of quite a few companies that use this to bring wired connectivity to vending machines...

• 5.  RE: Plug an Aruba AP into a wired network card to make device wireless - Is this possible?

Posted Aug 23, 2012 09:06 AM

Perfect technology for vending machines:)

I just have one more question - if I'm using a dual radio AP.  Will the mesh take one of the radios only leaving a single radio for clients or can the clients still share both radios?

Will a radio be dedicated to only mesh on the portal ap as soon as I configure the ap as a mesh portal? 

Many Thanks

Darren

• 6.  RE: Plug an Aruba AP into a wired network card to make device wireless - Is this possible?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 23, 2012 09:09 AM

You can do either.  You can only mesh on one radio.  If you are broadcasting a Virtual AP in that AP group, you have to choice to make it broadcast on both the mesh radio and the "other" radio, if you want.  Of course, that will lead to decreased backhaul performance, but NOT important if is a low bandwidth application.

• 7.  RE: Plug an Aruba AP into a wired network card to make device wireless - Is this possible?

Posted Aug 23, 2012 09:12 AM

Many thanks again.