Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

PoE Power to Both Ports on AP-225

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  PoE Power to Both Ports on AP-225

Posted Jan 23, 2014 10:57 AM

Two questions:

1. Are AP-225's capable of receiving power to both ports at the same time?
    2. If not, is there any guarantee that enet0 will always get PoE first if both ports are plugged in?

We recently opened an all wireless office and noticed that the AP-225's aren't consistently getting power on enet0.  This is an issue because we alternated enet 0 between switch stack members so that only half our APs will go down in case of a switch failure.  If enet0 does not consistently get power (assuming PoE load balancing isn't possible), than this blows our attempts at building in PoE redundancy.

• 2.  RE: PoE Power to Both Ports on AP-225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2014 11:04 AM

The AP225 does not have POE redundancy.  When an AP225 boots up, it chooses one interface for power and that is the interface.  It does not accept power for the second interface.  If the power goes out on that initial interface, the access point will reboot and will be powered up by the second interface.

• 3.  RE: PoE Power to Both Ports on AP-225

Posted Jan 23, 2014 11:12 AM

Is there anyway to influence that decision automatically?  If not, I will manually influence the decision by shutting down power to enet1 on all my even numbered APs, and shut down power to enet0 ports on odd numbered APs as they boot up, then re-enable PoE once operational.

Edit --------

We have MASs running 7.3 if that gives us any additional capabilities.

• 4.  RE: PoE Power to Both Ports on AP-225
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2014 02:25 PM

thecompnerd,

there is no way to do that today, unfortunately,

• 5.  RE: PoE Power to Both Ports on AP-225

Posted Jan 23, 2014 03:34 PM

Feature request time!  Thanks for the reply.

Here's my feature request: https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/cp/ideas/viewIdea.apexp?id=08740000000LEcH

• 6.  RE: PoE Power to Both Ports on AP-225

Posted Oct 05, 2017 06:21 PM

Is the lanpower load-balancing feature available in AP-225 now?

• 7.  RE: PoE Power to Both Ports on AP-225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 06:45 PM

Not sure what exactly you're looking for, but the AP-225 will source POE power from a single port only. It cannot draw power from both ports simultaneously (and I'm not aware such a claim was ever made).

• 8.  RE: PoE Power to Both Ports on AP-225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 05, 2017 07:50 PM

225 can pull from one or the other. If you dual-link POE uplinks and one fails, the AP will bootstrap to the other. As far as I know, only the AP-335 supports hitless POE on both uplinks.