Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

PoE on GbE circuits

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  PoE on GbE circuits

Posted Nov 07, 2014 09:28 AM

Would someone provide a discussion of the complexities involved providing mid-span PoE on a GbE circuit?  I have read the discussion on this topic a couple of times in the CWNA study guide but I am still missing something.  It seems the book indicates it can't be done because all of the copper wires are being used.  Help, and Thanks.

• 2.  RE: PoE on GbE circuits

Posted Nov 07, 2014 10:27 AM

The last time I looked, midspan power injection on GB links is not standardized.  However it is not technically a standard violation to manufacture an ethernet bridge that terminates the GE segments and applies power as an endspan.  I suspect that is what the GE midspan poe "injectors" that are available on the market and claim to be "compliant" are doing.

• 3.  RE: PoE on GbE circuits

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2014 10:35 AM

@Rquinn wrote:

Would someone provide a discussion of the complexities involved providing mid-span PoE on a GbE circuit?  I have read the discussion on this topic a couple of times in the CWNA study guide but I am still missing something.  It seems the book indicates it can't be done because all of the copper wires are being used.  Help, and Thanks.

When you say complexities, what do you mean?  There are products that do this today:  http://www.microsemi.com/products/poe-systems/single-port-midspans

Unless I am misunderstanding you...

• 4.  RE: PoE on GbE circuits

Posted Nov 07, 2014 11:28 AM

Here is the statement I am trying to understand:

GbE_PoE.png

Notice on line two where the sentence begins with "1000BaseT devices".  This is from Chapter 17 (PoE) of the CWNA study guide (PW0-104).

• 5.  RE: PoE on GbE circuits

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2014 11:30 AM

Hey...ask CWNP what they mean!