Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Pre-provision offline campus APs

We are on the verge of swapping out a competitor’s APs with AP134s.  Since we have active users on the existing APs we want to minimize outage windows.  Preferably, we would like to pre-provision APs so that they start serving clients minutes after coming online.

The easiest way to do this would be to provision the AP by serial number or wired MAC before the AP hits the controller, then allow it to download code and settings when it comes online in the production environment.  Unfortunately, we cannot find a way to provision an AP which is offline - is there a way to do this?

Retired Employee

Re: Pre-provision offline campus APs

If you have the MAC address of the APs then you can add them to the database on the master controller and specify the ap-group in which you want them to be provisioned 

(master) #local-userdb-ap add mac-address <mac-address> ap-group <ap_group> ap-name <ap_name>

When the AP contacts the master, it will download the configuration for that specific ap-group

--
HT
Occasional Contributor I

Thanks, that is a great help.  Is there a similar method which will allow me to set antenna gain?

Retired Employee

amb2035 wrote:

Thanks, that is a great help.  Is there a similar method which will allow me to set antenna gain?

I do not believe there is a way to pre-provision the antenna gain. 

--

HT

--
HT
Frequent Contributor II

Is there an update to this command since the command was depreciated. Anyone have a good excel sheet for deploying campus-ap's
Guru Elite

sdr,

What is your specific use case?  What do you want to provision?

To pre-provision Campus APs, they would need to first have at least booted once to the master controller that you want to do the preprovisioning to.  The ap-rename and the ap-regroup command referencing the mac address of the AP only work with devices that have booted at least once to the master controller.  If you just boot the AP once to the master controller, it would be just like "burning in" devices to determine if they are even viable or not...  You don't want to wait until someone is mounting an access point to determine that it is not even viable.

Just to recap, the ap-regroup and the ap-rename command specifying the mac address of the AP is all that is needed to provision devices that have already booted once to the master controller.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

Honestly just trying to figure out the best way to go from the box to the ceiling and then update airwave. Is it better to pre-boot before deployment?
Frequent Contributor II

Forgot to include we are replacing access points.
Guru Elite

There are two parts to your problem:

- How do I automatically get access points to be named correctly?

- How do I get Airwave to recognize them by their new name?

Your most significant challenge is that Aruba will not allow you to name two different access points the same thing.  May I suggest that you name your access points something slightly different from the access points you are replacing (building-floor-ap-1-new) so that you do not run into that issue.  That will also alert you that this AP replaced something similar and there is no confusion over two access points named the same thing.

You should boot the APs to the controller to burn them in, to make sure they work.  In addition, when they are physically deployed, they should not have to upgrade their code, so they will come up quicker.  After you burn them in, you can run your ap-rename and ap-regroup script (or even run it multiple times throughout this process) to make sure that devices have the most current info.  When access points come up in Airwave, they are automatically authorized, they will probably come up with the mac address as the name, and that name will "stick".  To get Airwave to recognize the new name, you will have to click on "Import Settings" in Airwave, or have it periodically run the script refrenced here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/Script-for-triggering-quot-import-settings-quot-on-AP-in-AMP/ta-p/171568 so that they will import the latest name that the controller has for the APs into Airwave (somehow the script is not attached to the knowledgebase article, but we are going to find it).

Since the summer is the time when everyone does migrations and upgrades, it would be good to hear more ideas about what people are doing to deploy more Wifi in the offseason...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: