06-01-2012 04:55 AM
Im looking to put a document together for use when engaging with customers on Wireless requirements.
Any input would be appreciated.
The few questions that I have are:
|Networking Infrastructure Questions:|
|1. What is the Speed of the LAN? 10/100/1000 Mbps?|
|2. Is the current infrastructure POE enabled?|
|1. What type of traffic will be running over the wireless?|
|2. What areas will need coverage?|
|a. Can floorplans be provided?|
|b. Which are the key areas?|
|c. Which areas are not key areas but are nice to have areas|
|d. Which areas are the dense areas? With high volume of users? How many users are in this area?|
|3. What type of devices will be connecting to the network?|
|a. Are the devices primarly 2.4/5/both GHZ capable?|
07-27-2012 05:04 PM
1 - What type of devices
2 - SSID requirements
3 - What 802.11 support is needed by the devices
4 - Authenticator in use at customer site
07-27-2012 05:47 PM
To expand on this... in my experience most times the level of discussion gets you to the "high level design" rather than to the nitty gritty of enabling 'knob' x or 'knob' y. That's your 'value' as consultant to figure out which levers to push/pull based on the high level requirements.
So with that in mind here are some areas I would guide the discussion and let the site say whats on their mind in these areas ?
- Capabilities of devices (e.g. which standard they support 802.11 a/b/g/2.4n/5.0n)
- How important is it to engineer in High Availability (H.A.) ? e.g. if the network goes down is this acceptable or catostrophic or somewhere in between ?
- WOuld you like HA at the controller level ? e.g. are you OK some cost to make sure the 'brain' in the system is 1+1 ?
- Would you like HA at the LAN level ? e.g. are you OK some cost to make sure the 'LAN' in the system is diverse ?
- Would you like HA at the AP level ? e.g. are you OK some cost to make sure there are a few 'extra' APs in the system to enhance redundancy and thus boost Availability ?
- Do you need guest access ? How would you like that to work ? e.g. receptionist, self provisioning ? both? neither (K.I.S.S.)
- Who will manage the network after its put in ? e.g. put in a hook for an Airwave discussion/attachment.