Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Printers falling off show airgroup servers list

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Printers falling off show airgroup servers list

Posted Apr 29, 2015 11:12 AM

Hello,

We have a 7210 controller running 6.4.2.3,  Clearpass version 6.2.6.x, and AP-105s.  When we turn on AirPrint some printers stay on the airgroup server list for 30 minutes.  For instance, a new HP Officejet Pro X551dw disappears after 30 minutes but an Officejet Pro 8500 A910 will stay on all day.  TAC has worked with us and so has HP support but haven't found a solution.  Has anyone heard of this?  Do you think it is a problem with this model of printer?  It works great otherwise.

• 2.  RE: Printers falling off show airgroup servers list

Posted Apr 29, 2015 11:50 AM

Hi,

It generally happens when a device fails to respond to the mDNS query sent by the controller properly.

Issue should be with that specific printer model.

For your ref :

Airgroup1.png

• 3.  RE: Printers falling off show airgroup servers list

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 29, 2015 11:52 AM
    Can you try creating static airgroup entries and see if the clients can consistently see the printers?

Thanks,
    Tim

• 4.  RE: Printers falling off show airgroup servers list

Posted Apr 29, 2015 12:45 PM

Sorry.  When I edited my question I left some things out.  The Officejet Pro 8500 A910 as well as several other printers will show on the airgroup servers list constantly.  The Officejet Pro X551dw only lasts 30 minutes and it is not exactly 30 but more or less.  If I reboot it or print to it some other way the timer starts over.  The inactivity timeouts on the printer are an hour or  more.  I think it is that printer model but HP disagrees. 

• 5.  RE: Printers falling off show airgroup servers list
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted May 01, 2015 10:24 AM

Hello,

The issue is resolved in 6.4.2.5. I created a case on this very subject back in March of 2014. Our HP AirPrint printers would drop off of AirPlay availabilty after about 30 minutes. It's a confirmed bug in Aruba OS versions preceeding 6.4.2.5. It took them a year to fix it but since upgrading, everything is fine.

Thanks.