Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Prioritise SSIDs airtime

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Prioritise SSIDs airtime

Posted May 22, 2018 05:47 PM

Hi experts,

How can I give priority to some SSIDs in the air? I mean, I have 1 employee SSID (employee) and 2 guest SSIDs (guest1 and guest2). How can I achieve "employee" to have the highest priority, followed by guest1 and guest2? I thought of configuring "Airtime" under

"Show advanced options > Bandwidth Limits", and give more airtime to "employee" and less airtime to "guest1" and less airtime to "guest2", but it seems not to be a good practice according to the following post:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/Meaning-of-Airtime-Limit-Aruba-Instant/td-p/275051

Then, how can I give priority between SSIDs?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: Prioritise SSIDs airtime
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2018 08:50 PM

Short of using WMM for wireless QOS, all wireless stations (including APs) use the same logic for determining when they can take control of the medium and transmit. 

Techniques like Airtime Fairness, Bandwidth Limits, and bandwidth contracts can be use to conform behavior, but need to consider the dynamic nature of wireless clients and variable data rates on a shared medium.

• 3.  RE: Prioritise SSIDs airtime

Posted May 23, 2018 10:14 AM

@cclemmerwrote:

Short of using WMM for wireless QOS, all wireless stations (including APs) use the same logic for determining when they can take control of the medium and transmit. 

Hi Charlie,

Then do you mean it is difficult to prioritise SSIDs traffic because all the clients among differents SSIDs have the same priority to access the medium?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Prioritise SSIDs airtime

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 23, 2018 12:34 PM

@fjulianomwrote:
    @cclemmer

Then do you mean it is difficult to prioritise SSIDs traffic because all the clients among differents SSIDs have the same priority to access the medium?

That's correct. You can use things like WMM or Airtime Fairness to control from the AP downstream to clients, but the AP is contending for the medium the same as the clients are.