Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Prioritize traffic on remote AP

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Prioritize traffic on remote AP

Posted Feb 05, 2016 03:01 PM

Hi,

We have approx 100 remote AP users that connect to a central Aruba controller via the Internet.

On occasion, the RAP users experience performance issues when their PC's receive desktop updates pushed out to them over the Internet via their RAP link.  When this happens, their delay sensitive apps such as Skype/VOIP have issues.

I would like to prioritize the VOIP traffic over all other traffic in the direction from the RAP controller to the RAP client.  I realize I can add an ACL to the user role which identifies the VOIP traffic and puts it into the high queue, but I'm curious to understand how this works.   i.e. Does this happen all the time for the user role or only when the controller interface becomes congested.  Does this prioritize traffic in both directions or just from controller to client ?

Are there any better ways of protecting the VOIP traffic other than what I have described above ?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Prioritize traffic on remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2016 03:18 PM

The "high" queue only monitors congestion at the controller, not on the link between the AP and the Controller.  It would not work in this context.  You should schedule updates to after hours...

• 3.  RE: Prioritize traffic on remote AP

Posted Feb 05, 2016 03:22 PM

Unforuntately, we are a large global company with users all over the world  so there is no "after hours"

So is it not possible to protect the VOIP traffic on a RAP user session over the tunnel or are there other ways of doing it on the controller ?

• 4.  RE: Prioritize traffic on remote AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2016 06:38 AM

@lee_d_m wrote:

Unforuntately, we are a large global company with users all over the world  so there is no "after hours"

So is it not possible to protect the VOIP traffic on a RAP user session over the tunnel or are there other ways of doing it on the controller ?

You can use the reserve bandwidth reservation feature here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_64x_WebHelp/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Remote_AP/Uplink_Bandwidth_Reserva.htm but it requires you to enter the size of the link so that the AP knows how much to reserve for voice traffic.  It might be better to ask the user to defer the update for a later time like many other organizations do.

• 5.  RE: Prioritize traffic on remote AP

Posted Feb 05, 2016 03:24 PM