Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

Question about the Hybrid Spectrum Monitors/Sensors. Currently, I have a 3400 series controller running 6.2.1.4. I created a new AP group and placed a number of RAP3 into the group. The RAP3s are up and servicing clients. But, I want to monitor spectrum where the RAPs exists.

So, I followed the steps in http://www.arubanetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/RFSpectrumWLANsAppNote_20120514.pdf and enabled 'Spectrum Monitoring' for the 802.11a Radio in a dedicated RAP Group under the RF Management section.

When I click on the Spectrum Analysis Tab and try to add the provisioned RAP3 to the dashboard, I get the error:

"There are no spectrum monitors configured. Please configure spectrum monitors from CLI or Configuration tab in WebUI. Please refer the documentation for more details."

Is it possible to use a RAP3 as a Hybrid Spectrum Monitor/Sensor on a 3400 Series Controller(6.2.1.4).

Anthony
Aruba

Re: Problem Getting a RAP3 to Function as Hybrid Spectrum Monitor

The RAP3 is a single radio (2.4GHz only), so enabling spectrum on the 802.11a radio will have no effect on it.

------------------------------------------------
Systems Engineer, Northeast USA
ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

I'm not 100% certain but I don't believe you can use a RAP3 as a spectrum monitor, certain not mentioned on the product page (where if you check the 105's for example it is listed as a feature..)

http://www.arubanetworks.com/products/rap-3/

Maybe someone can confirm?

ACMA, ACMP
If my post addresses your query, give kudos:)

Thanks for the reply and info.

When I checked the RAP3 Specs page, I pulled the following info:

Operating Modes

• Wireless
    • 802.11b/g/n Mobility Controller-managed RAP
    • 802.11b/g/n Aruba Instant AP
    • 802.11b/g/n air monitor
    • Hybrid WLAN and air monitor
Anthony
Aruba

Yes, but see my post above.  You made the change to the 802.11a radio profile.  The RAP-3 does not have an 802.11a radio; only 802.11b/g.    Try changing the 802.11g radio profile.

------------------------------------------------
Systems Engineer, Northeast USA
ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

Ahhhh! You're right. I'll update the correct radio profile and try.

Anthony

Okay. I removed the settings from 802.11a radio and applied to 802.11g radio.

I saved applied changes and saved the configs. After applying changes to the controller, I waited a couple of minutes and then rebooted the RAP.

After reboot, I verified connectivity from the RAP. No issues connecting to internet.

When I log into the controller and try to add/connect to the RAP from the dashboard, I still get error:

There are no spectrum monitors configured. Please configure spectrum monitors from CLI or Configuration tab in WebUI. Please refer the documentation for more details.

Anthony
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: