Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with 802.1x authentication 1 of out 10 computer fail to authenticate.

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Problem with 802.1x authentication 1 of out 10 computer fail to authenticate.

Posted Nov 15, 2012 11:12 PM

i have 1 laptop running Windows XP fail to authenticate to the Microsoft NPS server (802.1x Authentication). i have the define the Group policy the "Authenticate Method: Computer" and NPS policy also define only windows machine can access the Staff SSID. Problem is most of the laptop can successfully authenticate, now have 1 laptop fail to authenticate. 

May i know, normally what are common root cause, can caunse the windows machine fail to authenticate?

• 2.  RE: Problem with 802.1x authentication 1 of out 10 computer fail to authenticate.

Posted Nov 16, 2012 12:40 AM

In this circumstance, you are best suited to look at the NPS logs, a subset of the Security EvenT log.    On NPS or IAS the event logs are your fiorst troubleshooting step,I especially when it is not widespread.    Check the failed log entry to see what the reason or "reason code" was.   

• 3.  RE: Problem with 802.1x authentication 1 of out 10 computer fail to authenticate.

Posted Nov 16, 2012 09:31 AM

We have the same Problem with our Aruba AP 105.

But there are no errors in the logs from the NPS Server.

Some clients work fine  and are able to connect to the radius server and  some of them not.

Even to a wpa 2 personal network some clients are able to connect others are not.

We hadn't such problems until we made the update to the newest firmware. Maybe the new firmware is the reason for the error.

Our Firmware version is: 6.1.3.4-3.1.0.1_35899

• 4.  RE: Problem with 802.1x authentication 1 of out 10 computer fail to authenticate.

Posted Nov 16, 2012 09:51 AM

I also use firmware 6.1.3.4

I had check the NPS event log, error message is " There is no domain controller available for domain OP002." Event code: 4402.

I had source around this event code at microsoft website but it said is because NPS server can't the domain controller or windows firewall.

But, my deployment is domain controller, DNS, DHCP, NPS all are in same server. But we have two domain controller, and just configure 1 NPS only on 1 of the domain controller.