Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with RAP

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Problem with RAP

Posted Sep 05, 2017 06:36 AM

Hi,

I have problem with setup my RAP. Remotely and even with convert campus to remote AP.

I allow L2TP (PAP) in Advanced Services > VPN Services > IPSEC

then configure L2TP pool and set IKE Shared Secrets key

In remote convert I add APs mac address to whitelist. In campus i read that I dont need to.

In remote it showed vpn setup failed. In campus after I reconnect AP to different LAN AP didn't show in AP installation.

Then I tried port scan to my controller public IP to port 4500. And it show that port is closed. So I checked Advanced Services > Stateful Firewall > ACL White List

and port 4500 UDP is permit for any IP.  Or I must allow this port elsewhere ?

Thanks for advice. Srry for my english.

• 2.  RE: Problem with RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 05, 2017 07:40 AM

Hi TomasD,

Is the traffic going through a firewall? Maybe the firewall is blocking the ports. Can you please share more details about the environment? 

what happened, if you place the AP directly into a VLAN which can directly communicate with the controller? Without any firewalls in between. 

Many thanks,

Florian

• 3.  RE: Problem with RAP

Posted Sep 06, 2017 09:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks for reply. Now I have open UDP port 4500 on my controller, but nothing change. RAP cant connect to controller. Still get VPN connect failed.

Any other idea? Thanks

• 4.  RE: Problem with RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 06, 2017 09:06 AM

Hi TomasD,

Ports needed between RAP and Mobilty Controller:

• IPSec (UDP ports 500 and 4500)

Not only UDP 4500 but also 500 is needed. Can you check this as well. 

• 5.  RE: Problem with RAP

Posted Sep 06, 2017 09:51 AM

Hi,

yes port 500 was open too.

500/udp open|filtered isakmp

• 6.  RE: Problem with RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2017 07:39 AM

Hi ThomasD,

How is the RAP configured to find the controller? If you enter the "apboot" menu and use the command "printenv", you should find an entry like "master=IP OR DNS OF MASTER". If this is not present, the RAP is not able to find the master. 

If you have this entry, I would try to trace the traffic of the RAP to see if he is actually sending requests to the controller. Just to make sure, he is doing something. 

• 7.  RE: Problem with RAP
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 16, 2017 01:38 AM

Hi,

so problem was in authentication.

Security > Authentication > L3 Authentication / VPN Authentication

ServerGroup in default-rap must be setup on internal db. I didn't have that.