Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with connecting AP to the controller

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Problem with connecting AP to the controller

Posted Mar 15, 2016 08:52 AM

Hi,

I'm newbie in Aruba products and controller, I used simply Wifi router for home users so far, so be understanding please :-)

I have controller W3200 and 4x AP124. I startup controller, gave it name, address ip, netmask, gateway, admin & enable password, country code, time etc. everything like is written in Quick Start Guide. I have access to the controller from web browser, and have acces via console. I didn't install any licences. I enable DHCP on controller, and this is the only DHCP service in my network.

My network consist now from: controller, simply cisco gigabit switch, and my laptop.

I try co connect AP, but can't see it in controller. I'm looking it in tab "Configuration->Wireless->Ap Instalation". I've tried connect AP to switch, and to port on controller, but nothing happened.

Could anyone help me to connect AP to the controller?

Best regards,

Mariusz

• 2.  RE: Problem with connecting AP to the controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 09:04 AM

- Your network needs DHCP, otherwise the AP won't come up

- The controller needs a license installed, otherwise it will not come up.

- The AP124 requires external antennas, so until the antenna gain is provisioned in that AP in Configuration> Wireless > AP Installation, the AP will not broadcast.

• 3.  RE: Problem with connecting AP to the controller

Posted Mar 15, 2016 09:33 AM

Ad1) I've enable DHCP on the controller and set ip range for all my network excluding controller's address. Is it sufficient ?

Ad2) I have purchased licence with description "Policy Enforcement Firewall Module (16 AP Licence), but I don't install this licence, because I have only paper, and I don't know how to get this licence. Is it just this licence I have to install?

Ad3) I don't see AP under "AP Instalation", so I can't unblock the antena :-(

Mariusz

• 4.  RE: Problem with connecting AP to the controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2016 09:37 AM

The licenses should have instructions on how to install them.  If they don't have instructions, go to https://licensing.arubanetworks.com to activate them.

• 5.  RE: Problem with connecting AP to the controller

Posted Mar 15, 2016 11:03 PM

@mtopczewski wrote:

Ad1) I've enable DHCP on the controller and set ip range for all my network excluding controller's address. Is it sufficient ?

Ad2) I have purchased licence with description "Policy Enforcement Firewall Module (16 AP Licence), but I don't install this licence, because I have only paper, and I don't know how to get this licence. Is it just this licence I have to install?

Ad3) I don't see AP under "AP Instalation", so I can't unblock the antena :-(

Mariusz

Did you buy AP licenses, too?

• 6.  RE: Problem with connecting AP to the controller

Posted Mar 17, 2016 08:03 AM

I didn't buy any other licenses. Do I need some ?

Update (current state):

Now I see access points in "AP Instalation" in "Provisioning" and "Campus AP Whitelist" tabs. I've tried to provision my AP, but it failed with error description about "invalid gain value". I'm using AP-ANT-16, with gain values 4.7 and 3.9. I found on forum, that WebUI doesn't accept value other then 0.5 step, so I change this values to 5.0 and 4.0 and I successfuly provision my AP.

BUT !!!: I still have the same APs on tab "AP Instalation -> Provisioning". They  have status "2IL". Why???

In tab "Network->Controller->Licences management" I have:

Access Points: 0

Remote Access Points: 0

Ortronics Access Points: 0

Outdoor Mesh Access points: 128

Indoor Mesh Access points: 128

Next Generation Policy Enforcement Firewall Module: 16

• 7.  RE: Problem with connecting AP to the controller
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2016 08:14 AM

2IL = ipsec v2 (okay), inactive (not okay), No license for AP (not okay).

You need to purchase an AP license for 16 APs to match the Next Generation Policy Enforcement License.

• 8.  RE: Problem with connecting AP to the controller

Posted Mar 23, 2016 05:09 AM

If I create eval AP license now, can I purchase prenament license later and install it on my controller without reseting pernament PEFNG licenses which I have already installed?

• 9.  RE: Problem with connecting AP to the controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 23, 2016 06:15 AM

Yes, you can.