Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

Posted Sep 01, 2015 09:52 AM

Hi,

Yesterday I introduced a local controller to our topology, going from standalone master to a master/local setup. That all went fine and the two controllers began communicating with each other.

I then configured an AP system profile with the lms-ip parameter set and chose to assign that system profile to an AP group that only contained 2 APs so I could test it worked -- however upon executing the commands all APs on the master controller switched to the new local controller. They are all working okay, it's just not the behaviour I expected.

Any idea what's happened here? It's as though the lms-ip command has applied globally -- any new APs I'm bringing up are associating straight to the local controller so I am unable to configure them properly at the moment.

I've included hopefully all the relevant snippets of the config:

(aruba-master) #show configuration | begin ap-group
    ap-group "default"
    !
    [...]
    ap-group "hom-apg-qw-gr"
       virtual-ap "hom-vap-eduroam"
       enet1-port-profile "hom-utn-bridge"
       ap-system-profile "hom-sp-lms"
    !

(aruba-master) #show configuration | begin "ap system-profile"
    ap system-profile "default"
    !
    ap system-profile "hom-sp-lms"
       lms-ip 192.168.100.12
       bkup-passwords <removed>
    !  

Please let me know if I should provide any more information.

Thanks,

Paul

• 2.  RE: Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2015 09:54 AM

You need to create different AP-system profiles for your different LMS configurations and then apply them to the different AP groups.

• 3.  RE: Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

Posted Sep 01, 2015 10:12 AM

I see -- does the documentation state that anywhere? I was under the impression that lms-ip only applied to the AP groups that the system profile was associated with. I'm a bit confused why it has applied globally when I only configured one AP group with that system profile but perhaps I've misinterpreted what I've read.

Based on what you're saying, if I wanted new APs that need provisioning to associate first to the master controller, should I add "lms-ip <master controller ip>" to the default AP group?

• 4.  RE: Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2015 10:15 AM
    It sounds like you're using the default group. You should try not to use any default profiles on production for exactly this reason. Every new ap group will use the default profiles, so changing something will change it everywhere.

You can create new profiles that clone the defaults.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

Posted Sep 01, 2015 10:18 AM

As per the config snippet in my first post I am not using the default groups -- I have several AP groups and created a specific system-profile for setting the lms-ip.

• 6.  RE: Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2015 10:22 AM

Which system profile are the other AP groups using?

• 7.  RE: Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

Posted Sep 01, 2015 10:55 AM

They do not have one configured.

• 8.  RE: Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 01, 2015 10:58 AM

Hm. OK. They defnitely should have stayed on their provisioned controller. Take a look at the system logs on the master (show log system 100).

• 9.  RE: Problem with lms-ip applying to all AP groups

Posted Sep 01, 2015 01:40 PM

By chance does is your second controller have a DNS entry for aruba-master.your-company.com that would default the new APs to it. 

Is the second controller at a remote location from the master?  if not is it running ADP?