Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Provision RAP-5WN

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Provision RAP-5WN

Posted Dec 01, 2011 02:07 PM

Hey everyone!

I have a brand new rap-5wn sitting here and I just can't get it to see the controller. Let's see if I can list what I have done:

1. firewall configuration is set to allow port 4500 to the aruba 3400 controller - I see 3 hits on the rule, but it doesn't seem to be reaching the controller. (not sure....)

2. On the aruba 3400 in VPN\ipsec configured and address pool,

3. in security/authentication/servers/l3 authentication set to default

4. created a remote ap access policy (security/firewall/policies) permitting svc-papi, svc-gre, svc-l2tp (any/any), and svc-tftp, svc-ftp (any mswitch)

5. Now for configuring the l3 auth I'm having some issues - when I go to the default-rap, I dont see a roll that I can select and not sure what server group to pick(ldap, radius, default)

So when I plug in rap, go to config it from an outside source I get a rc_error_Ikep1 error on a DSL modem that has no firewall enabled....

So just what am I missing here?

Any help would be appreciated - they want to ship this unit out as soon as possible.

thank you!

lirria

• 2.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN

Posted Dec 01, 2011 02:14 PM

Is the RAP-5WN in the  RAP Whitelist  as well ?

Also, in the output of  ' show datapath session table | inc 4500 '   do you see the RAP trying to connect ?   That output would tell you if the RAP is making it through to the controller (or not)

• 3.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN

Posted Dec 01, 2011 02:30 PM

I did add the mac0 to the rap whitelist, I get an error when I try the |inc 4500 so not sure what's going on there

I do see one connection to port 4500

Source ip is the controller destination ip is the DSL router that the rap is hooked to

Lirria

• 4.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN

Posted Dec 01, 2011 02:36 PM

ok - I did get the inc to work (have to type include apparently...)

And I do see 2 connections on from the controller to the rap and 1 from the rap to the controller.

It may have something to do with my firewall - It's a cisco asa 5510 if that helps.

Lirria

• 5.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 01, 2011 02:58 PM

WOOHOO got it! I had to add udp/isakmp to my access rule on the firewall and then boom up it came!

Now to test the silly thing not in the office.....

:)

Thank you!

Lirria

• 6.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN

Posted Dec 01, 2011 03:26 PM

Nice work!

• 7.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN

Posted Dec 02, 2011 02:51 PM

You ever have one of those days where you see something and get all excited because you think it's working and then realize you plugged the device *inside* the firewall and that's why you could see it?

*sigh*

So Its down to the firewall config is the issue and I just haven't found the right thing to fix it

It's a cisco asa 5510 I have added nat-tranversal, nat-control, verified the port assign to the internal nat object and I'm out of ideas...

any thoughts? (and yes I don't expect cisco experts... just hope for some thoughts)

:)

Lirria

• 8.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN

Posted Dec 02, 2011 02:59 PM

I have access lists that look like this:

access-list inbound-traffic-on-outside extended permit udp any host Aruba-external eq 4500
    access-list inside_access_in extended permit udp host Aruba-internal any eq 4500

and I do feel like I'm missing something but I think I've been staring at it way to long.

Lirria

• 9.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN

Posted Dec 02, 2011 03:37 PM

What version of firmware are you running on your ASA?

• 10.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN

Posted Dec 02, 2011 03:43 PM

8.0(4)

• 11.  RE: Provision RAP-5WN
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 02, 2011 04:51 PM

OK -

I really did find the problem this time - Since my old controller was inside only - i never set up a default gateway for it so it had no idea where to send the traffic to the remote aps.

now just to get the new ap accepting clients and i can ship thing.

Thanks all!

Lirria