Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

Posted Jun 21, 2012 10:47 PM
    Trying to use an AP 105 in one of the wireless options mentioned here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4145. Any pointers to an Aruba online [RTF]FAQ? Is it even possible? TIA, Stefan

• 2.  RE: Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2012 05:55 AM

Is it an AP 105 (controller-based) or an IAP-105 (Aruba Instant)?

• 3.  RE: Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

Posted Jun 22, 2012 02:41 PM

My understanding is that these are "subcategories" of configuration of the same product!?!?

My AP 105 is now right out of the box, thus in the state of being configurable as either (or at least this is my understanding about how this works, i.e. I could set it as instant, or to use a controller. It is also my understanding that the latter does not allow en easy way to go back to the former, but that is beyond the point ... please correct me where wrong.)

• 4.  RE: Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

Posted Jun 22, 2012 02:41 PM

sorry - it is an IAP ... which could probably become an AP (?!?)

• 5.  RE: Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2012 04:15 PM

To mesh, over wireless you would need (1) a Dual Radio AP - Which you already have (2) A power injector or power cord (3) A switch to plug APs in initially.

Configure the first IAP.  Plug in a second, new IAP on the same physical LAN and allow it to get the configuration from the first and broadcast.

The next time you bring that second IAP up using just power, it should find the first IAP wireless access point without modification and just mesh.

Please see the kb article here:  When does an IAP act as mesh portal or mesh point? https://kb.arubanetworks.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1305

• 6.  RE: Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

Posted Jun 22, 2012 04:54 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.

I do not have two IAPs. My first "IAP" (in your desctiption) is actually my Mac Airport Express, so I am hoping your suggested scenario would still work.

• 7.  RE: Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2012 05:08 PM
    What equipment do you have and what are you trying to do?

• 8.  RE: Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

Posted Jun 24, 2012 06:34 PM

From the $subj = "AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly" => I have an Apple Airport Express (http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/) and an (I)AP 105 + I am trying to extened wirelessly the Airport Express signal range, using the (I)AP.

• 9.  RE: Q ref AP 105 extending an airport express range wirelessly (Warning - Aruba prod newbie)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 24, 2012 11:18 PM

You cannot do this.  "Mesh" is not typically supported between different manufacturers.