Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Question about AP if controller dies

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Question about AP if controller dies

Posted May 12, 2014 04:54 AM

Dear everyone,

I has 4 sites: Site 1, Site 2, Site 3 and Site 4 (Data Center). Each sites has 1 x Primary internet link to connect to Site 4 and 1 x backup link to Internet.  If primary link has problem, users connect to Internet through backup link. 

I am going to propose the number AP: 

Site 1: 10 x AP-115 and Secondary DC. 

Site 2: 5 x AP-115 and Secondary DC

Site 3: 3 x AP-115 and Secondary DC

Site 4: 1 x Wireless Controller 3200 and Primary DC 

Site 4 (Data Center) can point to point to Site 1, Site 2, Site 3. Wireless Controller put at Data Center to manage all APs at Site 1, 2,3. Site 1, Site 2, Site 3 can't connect together. 

Questions: 

- When the connection to controller is lost, AP can automatically authenticate users locally with Secondary DC and allow data traffic go out to Internet through back-up link at each site. 

Which is the best solution for high availability without Redundant Controller?

Thanks, 

Khang

• 2.  RE: Question about AP if controller dies
    Best Answer

Posted May 19, 2014 11:13 PM

You need a redundant controller in order to terminate the AP-115's should the primary controller fail.  Otherwise, the APs will stop broadcasting the SSID.

You could configure RAPs instead and use the Remote AP Operation Setting to broadcast a backup WPA2-PSK network that uses the backup Internet link.

Finally, you could use IAP-115's instead and configure each site as an instant cluster (no controller needed).  Then you're not reliant on the main data center's controller being available.

• 3.  RE: Question about AP if controller dies

Posted May 20, 2014 12:30 AM

Thank you for your response. 

I want to make clearly about the answwer: "You could configure RAPs instead and use the Remote AP Operation Setting to broadcast a backup WPA2-PSK network that uses the backup Internet link"

On AP of Aruba, we can configure Remote mode or we must use RAP? 

Thanks & Best regards, 

Khang 

• 4.  RE: Question about AP if controller dies

Posted May 20, 2014 08:35 AM
    Any AP can be configured as a RAP, so the option should be available if you
    configured your APs as RAPs.

I think going with IAPs is a better solution since you're not dependant on
    a controller and you don't have to tunnel your traffic all the way back to
    the data center, unless that's a requirement.

• 5.  RE: Question about AP if controller dies

Posted May 23, 2014 12:11 AM

Thank you for your support. 

My customer required Wireless Controller and he can manage 3 sites with Wireless controller. 

Regards, 

Khang