Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Question to Controllers

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Question to Controllers

Posted Aug 10, 2018 10:11 AM

Hello all,

we have bought two Aruba Controllers 7205, Airwave and Clearpass in 2017. At this time the ArubaOS 8.x wasn't released.

So we don't buy an MM.

At the Moment I try to configure the Controller with ArubaOS 8.3.

I would like to make a Cluster active / standby is this possible?

And when yes, where could I find how to configure this.

At the moment I've configured both as master. But how can the both controller see each other. Every solution I've seen ist with an MM...

Best regards

Mic

• 2.  RE: Question to Controllers
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2018 11:21 AM

@Signor Mic wrote:

Hello all,

we have bought two Aruba Controllers 7205, Airwave and Clearpass in 2017. At this time the ArubaOS 8.x wasn't released.

So we don't buy an MM.

At the Moment I try to configure the Controller with ArubaOS 8.3.

I would like to make a Cluster active / standby is this possible?

And when yes, where could I find how to configure this.

At the moment I've configured both as master. But how can the both controller see each other. Every solution I've seen ist with an MM...

Best regards

Mic

The active/standby use case has changed with AOS 8. Previous to AOS 8, APs could terminate on a Master Controller. Master controllers could also be deployed for active standby redundancy with config synchronization across the pair. With AOS 8, a master controller operating in MCM mode (without a Mobility Master) can not terminate APs. For a two controller deployment migrating to AOS 8, the setup needs to be changed.

Valid options are:

1) 2x standalone 7205s with VRRP between them. There is no automatic config synchronization between the two controllers, but active/standby availablity can be manually obtained.

2) 2x local 7205s with a new controller added to perform as the MCM. The new controller handles the dedicated management functions, while the existing 7205s operate as locals for the MCM and use VRRP to distribute APs to the active local. Config is synchronized automatically from the MCM to both locals.

3) 2x 7205s and a Mobility Master. This provides all the capability that AOS8 offers, with the 7205s being able to operate as an active/active cluster for APs and clients. Configuration is managed by the Mobility Master and updated to the managed devices (7205s).

• 3.  RE: Question to Controllers

Posted Aug 13, 2018 04:28 AM

Dear Charlie,

Thanks you for this excellent answer!

At my opinion, I have two choices, downgrade to 6.x and build an active/standby solution or buy licenses for a Mobility Master.

As I understand it correctly, ArubaOS 6.5.x will be supported until 2022.

Best regards,

Mic

• 4.  RE: Question to Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 11:03 AM

@Signor Mic wrote:

Dear Charlie,

Thanks you for this excellent answer!

At my opinion, I have two choices, downgrade to 6.x and build an active/standby solution or buy licenses for a Mobility Master.

As I understand it correctly, ArubaOS 6.5.x will be supported until 2022.

Best regards,

Mic

AOS 6.5 will have an extended support date. 

The downside to staying on 6.5 is that newer APs will not be available, like the AP-340 or AP-370. However, if your needs to not require the latest AP models, then it is a valid option to stay with 6.5 and redundant master controllers as you currently have it.