Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Questions about Upgrading to 802.11n

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Questions about Upgrading to 802.11n

Posted Mar 16, 2013 02:39 PM

Hello all,

Let me start off by saying that I'm away from my controller right now, so I only have Web access to the controller, not serial.

I have a few questions about upgrading to 802.11n: How can I find out how many licenses I have for local AP's? I would like to upgrade to AP125 units, but I want to make sure that my controller (An Aruba A200 model) will be able to handle it. How can I go about ensuring without a doubt that I can use these access points?

Any information you can provide me would be really appreciated. Please let me know what is required for the potential upgrade.

Thanks again!

• 2.  RE: Questions about Upgrading to 802.11n

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2013 02:42 PM

The 200 controller has 8 built in access point licenses (if you have ArubaOs 5.x and higher).  No additional license is necessary.

AP125s will work on the 200.  There is nothing special needed for the upgrade.

Please look at the indoor 802.11n site survey and planning VRD on the page here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/ for more information.

• 3.  RE: Questions about Upgrading to 802.11n

Posted Mar 16, 2013 02:44 PM

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, I can plug some AP125 units into my PoE switch and configure them on the controller and it will work essentially right-out-of-the-box?

Thanks for the very fast reply, by the way!

• 4.  RE: Questions about Upgrading to 802.11n

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2013 02:46 PM

Yes.  They would of course have to upgrade to the code on the 200.  If they were used for something before and they were statically addressed, you might need to use a console cable to purge the AP125s.  You also might have to provision them to groups that exist on the 200 controller.

• 5.  RE: Questions about Upgrading to 802.11n

Posted Mar 16, 2013 02:48 PM

Alright, that was all the info that I need! Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. Have a great day!

I have a console cable, so I'll look into purging the AP's, because the ones I am looking at buying are second-hand.

Thanks again!!!