Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP-155 with TW-LTE/4G/3G+ USB-modem

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  RAP-155 with TW-LTE/4G/3G+ USB-modem

Posted Jun 21, 2018 06:33 AM

Hi,

I'm struggling to get my RAP-155 to work with Telewell TW-LTE/4G/3G usb-modem.

I'm wondering if I have to do a modeswitch for it, because the instructions I got says that standard eject should be enough. However I am not sure if I can put "eject /dev/sr0" as USB modeswitch parameters to the configured ap-group.

So if any of you has some experience on this thing, I would be grateful to get some help to get my RAP working with this USB-modem.

What I know is that the vendor-id is 2020 and product-id 2030, and then the product-id changes to 2033 after the eject. 

Here is the configuration I have for the ap-group I'm using for this RAP.

USB Device Identifier: 0x20202033

USB modeswitch parameters: eject /dev/sr0

• 2.  RE: RAP-155 with TW-LTE/4G/3G+ USB-modem

Posted Jun 21, 2018 10:44 AM

hello,  please try setting the usb modeswitch to

"-v 2020 -p 2030 -K"

which is a standard eject call.

• 3.  RE: RAP-155 with TW-LTE/4G/3G+ USB-modem

Posted Jun 25, 2018 02:00 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I tried it with those parameters - no luck :(

Not sure if I need to get the modeswitch message somewhere and add that to the parameters as well? If so, how can I get the message? Google doesn't seem to find it.

• 4.  RE: RAP-155 with TW-LTE/4G/3G+ USB-modem

Posted Jun 25, 2018 05:37 AM

wrote:

Not sure if I need to get the modeswitch message somewhere and add that to the parameters as well? If so, how can I get the message? Google doesn't seem to find it.

That is the modeswitch message, taken from the modeswitch website (google: usb_modeswitch Telewell 0x2020 0x2033) and then look at the discussion, seems a normal eject will work.

Can you post the entire config for the modem, not just the pre and post switch IDs?

A couple of options can be tried now. First, setup your RAP to do dual uplink, 4G first then wired second. Let it fail on the 4G modem then connect via wired, then you can get the logs out of it (show ap debug <>) and try to see any error that points you in the right direction.

show ap sapd-debug log ap-name <>
    show ap debug log ap-name <>
    show ap debug usb ap-name <>

Alternatively, you may be to boot up a small linux install from USB on a laptop, install usb_modeswitch if it doesnt already have it, then try to find the correct combination of modeswitch params that work from the CLI to get it to work. 

Once you have that, it can be copied into the Aruba modeswitch value as was just tried.

Oh, just in case, there is no need to include the word "usb_modeswitch" in variable, this field is used to pass params to modeswitch, it's not a freeform box to run any old file from the AP file system.

• 5.  RE: RAP-155 with TW-LTE/4G/3G+ USB-modem

Posted Jul 02, 2018 05:15 AM

Hi,

here is the configuration:

ap provisioning-profile "testi"
       remote-ap
       usb-type option
       usb-dev "0x20202033"
       usb-dial "ATD*99#"
       usb-init 'AT+cgdcont=1,\"ip\",\"internet\"'
       usb-tty "ttyUSB1"
       usb-modeswitch "-v 2020 -p 2030 -K"
       link-priority-ethernet 90
       link-priority-cellular 110

I've been trying to change that usb-tty, after I noticed the logs were saying: cannot open /dev/modem: no such file or directory

Still no real progress :(

Edit. Even though I've been changing that usb-tty in the configuration to usbtty0 and 1, it still generates the same message to the logs: Jul  2 11:22:00 pppd[2415]: (2415) Failed to open /dev/modem: No such device

• 6.  RE: RAP-155 with TW-LTE/4G/3G+ USB-modem

Posted Jul 02, 2018 09:56 AM

you probably shouldnt be using the "option" driver, try "ether" and also try getting rid of the ttyUSB and leaving it blank.

Failing that, you may need to engage the tac to help to debug it further..