Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

Posted Jul 29, 2013 09:31 AM

I am trying to configure split tunnel over a RAP-2, and I'm 98% of the way there but I still have one thing I can't get to work.

On the controller I have configured a Policy with the rules:
         any     any     svc-dhcp     permit
         user     alias(Destinations_internal_networks)    any     permit
         any     any     any     route src-nat

I am able to tunnel in from the remote site to the main office on the internal networks, and all other network traffic is being routed out to the Internet via the local network. However, I am unable to access local resources such as my wireless printer or network shares. I can ping anything on the local network (192.168.2.0/24), but the connections won't come up.

Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

Posted Jul 29, 2013 09:37 AM

How are you trying to connect to those printers, via IP or name ? 

Can you do a show datapath session table <ipaddress> ?

• 3.  RE: RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

Posted Jul 29, 2013 10:48 AM

I'm trying to connect by name, though IP may be an option if it's the only way.

The show datapath command on the controller comes up empty.

• 4.  RE: RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

Posted Jul 29, 2013 11:48 AM

Are you already able to access those by printers name through the wire with that same laptop ?

You may have to change the LMHOST file if you are using a Windows laptop 

• 5.  RE: RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

Posted Jul 29, 2013 11:58 AM

Normally I connect wirelessly with my laptop over my local SSID and it works fine.  When I change to the RAP SSID, I get all the network functionality as stated earlier, but my printer icon greys out and goes offline (although I can still ping it).

I'll look into the LMHOST file.  Can you give a little guidance on what to put in there?

• 6.  RE: RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

Posted Jul 29, 2013 02:19 PM

Try the following under the user-role and see if this helps :

Create an Alias 

(controller) (config) #netdestination LOCAL-SEGMENT

(controller) (config-dest) # network 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0

Create an ACL allowing this traffic 

(controller)#ip access-list session ALLOW-LOCAL-SEGMENT

(controller) (config-sess-ALLOW-LOCAL-SEGMENT)#any alias  LOCAL-SEGMENT any permit

And turn on All Profile Management_2013-07-29_14-04-23.pngunder the System profile of the RAP AP-Group

If this doesn't work you may have to do by IP or open a TAC case to see if there's anything else you might need to do.

• 7.  RE: RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

Posted Jul 29, 2013 03:13 PM

I'll give that a try tonight and let you know how it works.  Thanks for all your help!

• 8.  RE: RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

Posted Jul 29, 2013 04:44 PM

Just one more question -- in that final command (any alias LOCAL-SEGMENT any permit), can you confirm "permit"?  Wouldn't that send the packet through the tunnel to the office internal network, when I want it to remain local?

• 9.  RE: RAP-2 split tunnel and local resources

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2013 06:49 PM

@Gawain wrote:

Just one more question -- in that final command (any alias LOCAL-SEGMENT any permit), can you confirm "permit"?  Wouldn't that send the packet through the tunnel to the office internal network, when I want it to remain local?

The "permit" action should send the traffic into the tunnel.  The Remote-AP local network access command should accomplish the following...FYI:

The remote-AP local network access feature allows local network access between clients connected to a RAP without routing the traffic back to the controller. When two clients that are connected to a split-tunnel SSID or wired port are on the same VLAN, the traffic between them always is switched locally. However, if these two clients are on different VLANs, the traffic is routed via the controller. When remote-AP local network access is enabled, the RAP switches the traffic locally instead of routing the traffic back and forth through the controller. Similarly, for bridge mode clients on different VLANs, the remote-AP local network access feature switches the traffic locally instead of forwarding it to the upstream router when the “user any any route src-nat” firewall rule is triggered.