Wireless Access

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP/Wired phone DR Solution

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  RAP/Wired phone DR Solution

Posted Dec 19, 2013 08:53 AM

I am currently running RAP2's and RAP3's with two 3600's in a master/local setup both located in the same data center.  I am tasked with designing a DR solution in the event this data center was not available.  I could simply relocate the local to another Data Center and use that for the backup LMS.  The challenge is I cannot extend L2 between the DC's so the VLAN must change for the phones.  This is fine but I have noticed the phones do not reboot and obtain a new IP if they are simply placed on another vlan.  In the event of a disaster having users reboot the phones tp obtain an IP on the other subnet would not be a big deal, however I am sure RAP's will find their way to the local at some point.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks   

• 2.  RE: RAP/Wired phone DR Solution

Posted Dec 19, 2013 11:56 AM
    I think there is a feature on clear pass where you can send a RFC3746 server disconnect which triggers a new dhcp request, but never done it, and the thing is you'd need to work out some kind of trigger mechanism to start this. Got to say that that would be intrusive. Has anyone else used this method? Also can't you just extend those vlans with GRE? Sorry if I an showing ignorance to your configuration

• 3.  RE: RAP/Wired phone DR Solution

Posted Dec 19, 2013 12:13 PM

That's a real worry that the phones don't reboot. I assume they are something different to Cisco which reboots if it loses comms to the call manager?

Well, ideal number 1 from me...

Nail up a static GRE between the controllers, and align it with a specific VLAN (where your phones will live). This means regardless of where the phones terminate, they live in a routed "cloud" VLAN shared between controllers and resilience will be fine.

Then, make sure the layer 3 egress point from both controllers suits the routed infrastructure, maybe using OSPF to make it optimised and resilient? I haven't thought this through in detail, and it might not suit your layer 3 topology, but it's an idea at least?

Also have a sensible think about where the DHCP is going to come from resiliently of course.

• 4.  RE: RAP/Wired phone DR Solution

Posted Dec 19, 2013 12:13 PM

Oh, and if the GRE is a security worry over your DC to DC link, put it inside an IPSEC.