Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP required licenses

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  RAP required licenses

Posted Dec 28, 2011 01:36 PM
    Hi All, Im doing a proposal for a client with 64 RAP-2WG and 3200 controller. Kindly advise on the needed licenses to make thses devices work with private and guest authentication. I'll propose the controller with AOS 5.0 and I've read that in this version RAP license is included in the AP capacity and the Base OS with VPN what is the difference of PEFV in what scenario is this ideally applicable Kindly advise the additonal license below for best practices in offering VBN solution. License: 1.) 64xAp Capacity License 2.)???? 3.).. 4)... Thanks comingblow

• 2.  RE: RAP required licenses
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 28, 2011 02:03 PM

For 64 RAPs, you will need

• 64 AP licenses to terminate the RAPs
    • 64 PEFNG license for firewall capabilities

I dont think you are looking for any WIPS or spectrum (mostly for RAP dployments the customers dont require this) , so you don't need the RFprotect licenses

The PEFV license is required for terminating VIA, in ArubaOS 5.X this license was available in the base OS but in 6.1 this is a seperate license that has to be purchased.

If you have a redundant controller , then that controller should be licensed to the load that it will carry during failover.

Remember that the number of AP licenses should be equal to the number of PEFNG licenses. If not the lowest number between the two licenses will be considered. Say you have 64 PA licenses and 32 PEFNG licenses then only 32 RAPs can be terminated.

If you are using any RFProtect licenses then , the number of AP licenses should be equal to the number of PEFNG and RFProtect.

Since your don't need RFProtect licenses all you need is

• 64 APs and 64 PEFNG licneses (as long as RFprotect license is zero)

Regards,

Sathya

• 3.  RE: RAP required licenses

Posted Dec 28, 2011 11:09 PM

Hi Sathya,

Thank you very much! :)

regards,

Marlon

• 4.  RE: RAP required licenses

Posted Dec 28, 2011 11:26 PM

Hi Sathya,

Follow up question if I got 4 RFProtect License it means I can convert 4 ap as spectrum analyzer.  If I dont have this license RF protect. can I detect a rogue ap or convert it to air monitor?

Regards,

marlon

• 5.  RE: RAP required licenses

Posted Dec 29, 2011 03:22 AM
    Hi Marlon, From my knowledge the RFProtect license amount has to be the same as as the AP license amount. So amount of LAP equal PEFNG equal RFProtect. For detecting rogue APs, you don't need this license. It should be part of the base system. Sathya: Correct me if I'm wrong here. Regards, Stefan

• 6.  RE: RAP required licenses

Posted Dec 29, 2011 02:15 PM

Hi Guys,

The RF protect license is not required for

• Rogue AP classification techniques other than AP classification rules
    • Rogue containment
    • Wired containment
    •  Wireless containment without Tarpit

• Wi-Fi interference detection

RF Protect license is required for

• Spectrum Analysis
    • Hybrid spectrum analysis
    • Wi‐Fi interference classification
    • Wi‐Fi interference visualization
    • Tarpitting
    • Wireless intrusion detection system (IDS) attack signatures
    • Simplified configuration with WIP configuration wizard
    • Total Watch enhanced air monitoring. Provides granular (5 MHz) rogue scanning. With out RF protect the channel are scanned at 20 MHZ intervals. Also adds the ability for AMs to scan rare channels (4.9 GHz)
    • Automatic rule‐based rogue classification
    • Detect and contain Windows Bridge

Remember that if you decide to add 4 RFprotect licenses then the total APs that you can terminate on the controller will come down to 4 even if you have higher number of AP and PEFNG. Keep the RFProtect licenses to zero or eqaul to the number of AP and PEFNG licenses

Regards,

Sathya