Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP2 Home Office Problem

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP2 Home Office Problem

Posted Mar 22, 2012 11:55 AM

I've recently setup a RAP-2WG for use at a home office for one of our users.  Our Corporate SSID is broadcast from the RAP2 in the user's home and he can connect and access all the corporate resources he needs.  That part is working perfectly.

But, his DSL modem that the RAP uses to access the internet is still broadcasting his Home SSID.  When he tries to connect to the Home SSID with his personal wireless devices, it fails.  I noticed on our controller that his Home SSID was classified as a Rogue AP so I changed it to Valid, but he still fails to connect.  Message six in this thread (http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Security-WIDS-WIPS-and-Aruba-ECS/Home-Office-Security/m-p/3631/highlight/true#M134) indicates that he should have no problem connecting to his Home SSID.

Is there anything else, besides setting his Home SSID to Valid, that I need to do to allow him to once again connect to his Home SSID?  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: RAP2 Home Office Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2012 02:24 PM

Can he connect if he turns off the RAP2WG?

• 3.  RE: RAP2 Home Office Problem

Posted Mar 28, 2012 10:33 AM

I finally heard back from the user.  He was able to connect to the Home SSID with the RAP2 turned off.  He was able to stay connected to the Home SSID after the RAP was power back on.  But if he disconnected from the Home SSID, he could not reconnect unless the RAP is turned off.

• 4.  RE: RAP2 Home Office Problem

Posted Mar 29, 2012 10:35 AM

We have seen some funny things (this being one of them) when the user connects their home router to E1 instead of E0. Not sure if this is possible in your environment, but might be something to check.

• 5.  RE: RAP2 Home Office Problem

Posted Mar 29, 2012 03:23 PM

@nickfalz wrote:

We have seen some funny things (this being one of them) when the user connects their home router to E1 instead of E0. Not sure if this is possible in your environment, but might be something to check.

Thanks for the tip, but I double-checked and the home router is connected to E0 on the RAP.

• 6.  RE: RAP2 Home Office Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 29, 2012 04:22 PM

While the RAP2 is connected, type "show log wireless 100" to see if there is any ids/ips activity...

• 7.  RE: RAP2 Home Office Problem

Posted Mar 30, 2012 03:51 PM

I'm much more comfortable with the WebUI, but I was able to show the log.  I didn't see any entries from the RAP in question.  If you want to see that output, I can attach it.

• 8.  RE: RAP2 Home Office Problem

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2012 06:52 PM

You should only do this when:

- The end-user is attempting to connect to his "other" WLAN.