Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP3 - Instant to RAP Conversion - IP ONLY???

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  RAP3 - Instant to RAP Conversion - IP ONLY???

Posted Sep 11, 2013 02:21 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm programming my first RAP3's today and I see they have shipped as instant.  The conversion process is quite easy and I have not had an issue but here is my problem:

I use F5 Global Traffic Managers for ISP redundancy to my HQ where the RAP controller lives.  When doing the conversion in the instant AP you cannot specify a DNS name, only the IP address of the controller you want to manage the RAP.  So in the case of the RAP3's I'm provisioning today, they are now pointed to a specific IP address.  If my primary ISP goes down these RAP's would go down too.

If I could point them to a DNS name then my DNS name will resolve properly based upon the current conditions of my ISP.  The RAP5's I've provisioned in the past (that did NOT ship as instant) always were able to be configured for a DNS name.  

So my question becomes how can I request this functionality or is there a way I can change it to a DNS name from an IP address after I have done the initial conversion?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: RAP3 - Instant to RAP Conversion - IP ONLY???

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2013 02:22 PM

You can certainly provision it to an FQDN after initial conversion.

• 3.  RE: RAP3 - Instant to RAP Conversion - IP ONLY???

Posted Sep 11, 2013 02:25 PM

Could you point me in the direction on how I would do that?  I guess my inexperience is coming in to play here.  Once I did the conversions the unit's turned into RAP's and they just come online and operate as a normal RAP so I'm not quite sure how to change the controller IP to a FQDN.

• 4.  RE: RAP3 - Instant to RAP Conversion - IP ONLY???

Posted Sep 11, 2013 02:27 PM

I think I just answered my own question.  Obviously I can just go into my RAP controller and reprovision it from there.

Thank you for the tip and getting me straightened out!

• 5.  RE: RAP3 - Instant to RAP Conversion - IP ONLY???

Posted Sep 11, 2013 02:34 PM

While I'm busy talking to myself.  How would I go about suggesting Aruba allows FQDN's in the conversion process so I don't have to repeat steps?

• 6.  RE: RAP3 - Instant to RAP Conversion - IP ONLY???

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2013 02:36 PM

@JTB wrote:

While I'm busy talking to myself.  How would I go about suggesting Aruba allows FQDN's in the conversion process so I don't have to repeat steps?

The latest version of IAP allows a FQDN for conversion.  Just got to Maintenence and get the upgrade, first....

• 7.  RE: RAP3 - Instant to RAP Conversion - IP ONLY???

Posted Sep 11, 2013 02:46 PM

Thank you so much for your help cjoseph, I really apprecaite it.