Wireless Access

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

Posted Nov 02, 2012 10:29 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm deploying the new RAP3-WNP which should have the Ethernet 2 Port POE capable. However, I've tried plugging in IP Phones into this Port and yet, I don't see it power up the Phone.

I have been told that the POE capability is on by default, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there something that needs to be done to enable the POE functionality?

Regards,

Eric.

• 2.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2012 10:30 AM

@eosuorah wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm deploying the new RAP3-WNP which should have the Ethernet 2 Port POE capable. However, I've tried plugging in IP Phones into this Port and yet, I don't see it power up the Phone.

I have been told that the POE capability is on by default, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Is there something that needs to be done to enable the POE functionality?

Regards,

Eric.

Is the phone you are trying to power up 803.af compliant?

• 3.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

Posted Nov 02, 2012 10:32 AM

Yes it is.

• 4.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

Posted Nov 02, 2012 10:35 AM

These come up as an Instant AP first before we configure them into RAPs.

• 5.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

Posted Nov 02, 2012 10:40 AM

Okay. This is a concern for me now.

I just plugged another RAP3-WNP and I first had to go to the "Settings" configuration to enable the POE capability.

It was enabled at all!!

After doing that, I saved the configuration. The IP Phone still wouldn't come up.

I then rebooted the RAP3-WNP and that was when the POE Port then came up.

This is a concern now because, after we have a RAP3-WNP configured tp talk back to the Controller, how can we then re-enable the POE Port? Since, the only way we do this is when it's an Instant AP.

• 6.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2012 10:42 AM

When the RAP3WNP is in IAP or Instant mode, you need to enable it manually.  If you terminate the RAP3WNP on a controller as a RAP, the power should be automatically enabled.  Will you be using the RAP3WNP as a RAP or an IAP?

• 7.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

Posted Nov 02, 2012 10:47 AM

@cjoseph wrote:

When the RAP3WNP is in IAP or Instant mode, you need to enable it manually.  If you terminate the RAP3WNP on a controller as a RAP, the power should be automatically enabled.  Will you be using the RAP3WNP as a RAP or an IAP?

I will be using it as a RAP.

And unfortunately, POE is not enabled.

• 8.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

Posted Nov 02, 2012 10:52 AM

@eosuorah wrote:

@cjoseph wrote:

I'm going to convert one of the RAP3WNP that I have POE enabled into a RAP and see if the POE capability stays up.

• 9.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

Posted Nov 02, 2012 11:14 AM

It

@eosuorah wrote:

@eosuorah wrote:

@cjoseph wrote:

I'm going to convert one of the RAP3WNP that I have POE enabled into a RAP and see if the POE capability stays up.

Okay. So it didn't come up. But we just found out that under the Group Profile we created for the RAPs, we needed to also enable POE under the Ethernet 2 Port Profile. So, it seems we were mis-informed as regards to the POE configuration/capability on the RAP3WNP.

Will keep you posted once we have everything working with the IP Phone.

• 10.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 02, 2012 11:15 AM

Sorry.  yes it needs to be enabled there, too.

• 11.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

Posted Mar 19, 2013 10:20 AM

I am not finding a PoE setting in the Ethernet 2 port settings on the profile I created foir the RAP3.  What am I missing?

• 12.  RE: RAP3-WNP POE not powering up IP Phones

Posted Mar 19, 2013 01:13 PM

I found what I needed to do to turn on PoE in the KB

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/R-1681