Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

RAPs consuming a hell of a lot of bandwidth.....???

OK - have installed a RAP5-WN at our remote office - when clients connect throught the RAP, i loose around 3 to 4 MB off the internet speed. Out of interest, I set up a seperate WLAN at the office using the supplied Draytek router - i then connected clients through this WLAN using VIA - boom, the lost 3 - 4MB came back. So using VIA i get the true speed of the internet connection - using RAPs i loose a fair chunk. RAPs are set to split-tunnel so that shouldnt be the problem. I also tried a RAP2 at the same office to rule out the RAP5 as the problem, RAP2 did the same. Any one else had this problem or anyone have any ideas???

James

Guru Elite

Re: RAPs consuming a hell of a lot of bandwidth.....???

Are you doing broadcast-multicast optimization on the VLANs on the wired and wireless LANs?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Not that i'm aware of. The wired LAN is a single subnet class c network, so small broadcast domain. Pretty much a single VLAN too. Nothing clever going on, just a very basic set up.

Guru Elite

You should look into enabling broadcast-multicast optimizations on the VLANs on that RAP and checking again.

What version of ArubaOS?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Thanks for the reply again.....where would one configure such a thing?

Oh - we are running ArubaOS 6.1.3.1

Guru Elite

jgriffiths wrote:

OK - have installed a RAP5-WN at our remote office - when clients connect throught the RAP, i loose around 3 to 4 MB off the internet speed. Out of interest, I set up a seperate WLAN at the office using the supplied Draytek router - i then connected clients through this WLAN using VIA - boom, the lost 3 - 4MB came back. So using VIA i get the true speed of the internet connection - using RAPs i loose a fair chunk. RAPs are set to split-tunnel so that shouldnt be the problem. I also tried a RAP2 at the same office to rule out the RAP5 as the problem, RAP2 did the same. Any one else had this problem or anyone have any ideas???

James

Configuration> Network> IP.  Edit the wired or wireless VLAN that your RAP users are placed on.  Enable BCMC Optimization.

That will prevent broadcasts from propagating.

Colin Joseph

Top man - thank you good sir. I've turned it on, i will test a RAP2 later at home and let you know how I get on.

Just had some feedback from users at our remote office that the RAP is still slower than connecting with VIA. Any other suggestions? :(

Guru Elite

Please open a support case to get to the bottom of this.

Colin Joseph

OK - thanks - it is a bit of a weird one!

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: