Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAPs falling into default AP group after upgrade

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  RAPs falling into default AP group after upgrade

Posted Apr 28, 2016 11:21 AM

I recently took over a new master/slave 7210 controller setup and am running into an issue after upgrading to 6.4.3.7 from 6.4.2.8. There were a couple different remote AP groups configured and they were working fine, APs rebooted often and always came back up in the right group. After I upgraded, all remote APs reverted back to the default AP group. I can manually edit the whitelist and/or change their AP group and they'll work for a day, but when I come in the next day they are back in the default AP group.

I've opened a case with TAC but they are not being very helpful at all and it's been over a week now. I wanted to reach out here and see if anyone else has ever experienced a similar issue.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: RAPs falling into default AP group after upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 28, 2016 12:06 PM

Are you synchronizing your whitelist between controllers?  Are you using activate for your RAPS?

• 3.  RE: RAPs falling into default AP group after upgrade

Posted Apr 29, 2016 03:21 PM

Yes the whitelist is syncing between controllers, and I'm not sure about activate. I don't think so though, but these were all deployed before I started here and I didn't have any experience with RAPs before. How could I tell?

• 4.  RE: RAPs falling into default AP group after upgrade

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 29, 2016 11:47 PM

Do you have any logs.tar from before the upgrade?  that would allow us to understand what happened before and how it is different from what is happening now.

If you do not have those logs, I would understand TAC being unhelpful, because they do not have any data to attempt to replicate your issue.

• 5.  RE: RAPs falling into default AP group after upgrade

MVP
    Posted Apr 30, 2016 01:06 PM

@cjoseph wrote:

Do you have any logs.tar from before the upgrade?  that would allow us to understand what happened before and how it is different from what is happening now.

If you do not have those logs, I would understand TAC being unhelpful, because they do not have any data to attempt to replicate your issue.

Since he can change the APs to the correct group but they keep changing back to the default group I would think support has more then enough to investigate why that issue.

@rmcleod: I would start by enabling debug logs for one of those APs and hope that will give you some info as to why they keep changing back to the default group.

• 6.  RE: RAPs falling into default AP group after upgrade

Posted May 02, 2016 04:21 PM

That's what I was thinking too...

The case got escalated and we made some progress today. There were entires in the error log relating to the activate server, and I discovered that some of our APs were provisioned that way. I found the login for it as well and it does look like there's an issue with certificates right now. We disabled activate for now and will see what happens tonight.