Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RF output changes

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  RF output changes

Posted Oct 23, 2013 06:17 PM

We have an AP 175P inservice as part of a mesh network and would like manage the output power.

I don't seem to be able to find where in the controller config page for the device where the RF output power is set.

I tried to find it within the group setting under the configuration tab but I'm unwilling to make uninformed changes.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• 2.  RE: RF output changes

Posted Oct 23, 2013 06:40 PM
    If you go to the AP-group under RF Management settings > radio profile > ARM profile

EIRP Min/Max

• 3.  RE: RF output changes

Posted Oct 23, 2013 07:17 PM
      |   view attached

The group consits of 105's and a 175 AP, by changing the settings for the group is this applied to all AP's in the group?

Also I can't find the page exactly as discribed, attached is a screenshot

Could you please confirm this is the correct location.

Thanks 

• 4.  RE: RF output changes

Posted Oct 23, 2013 07:50 PM

The group consits of 105's and a 175 AP, by changing the settings for the group is this applied to all AP's in the group?

That is correct this will applied to all the APs in that group

Also I can't find the page exactly as discribed, attached is a screenshot

That's the correct page

Min EIRP and Max EIRP will the range of power levels arm can assign your APs

you can confirm the power levels by running the following command:

show ap active | include <name of the AP>

show ap arm rf-summary ap-name <name of the AP>

Why are you trying to change the power settings?

• 5.  RE: RF output changes

Posted Oct 24, 2013 01:37 AM

Thanks for your assistance, we are in a remote location and we are just trying to extended the coverage.

So if I just want to increase the power on the outdoor unit it would have to be moved to another group then?

Should all our outdoor units be in a separate group to allow the power to be managed?

Thank you for all your help.

• 6.  RE: RF output changes

Posted Oct 24, 2013 06:27 AM

It depends on how's your mesh deployement setup ? How many Mesh Portals and mesh points do you have ? 

Do you only have one AP175 ? And the rest AP105's ?

• 7.  RE: RF output changes

Posted Oct 24, 2013 06:54 AM
    At this site, yes. So this AP group only has 105's and a 175. We have no point to point configurations using 175's. But other groups are a mix of 104, 105 and 175.

• 8.  RE: RF output changes

Posted Oct 24, 2013 08:23 AM

You just want to increase the power only on the AP175 ? How is the AP175 configured ?

Can you run the following ?

show ap mesh topolgy 

• 9.  RE: RF output changes

Posted Oct 25, 2013 07:25 PM
    Yes, we would like to increase the power only on the 175 within the group, currently there is only five groups with 175 within them.
    We don't have any 175's mesh configured.

Thought this would be a straight forward, as the 175 reads as a very configurable unit.
    In built up areas I'm sure would be a need to dial it back also, as it could swamp neighbouring networks. I have been told anyway.
    Thank you for the discussion, much appreciated.

• 10.  RE: RF output changes

Posted Oct 25, 2013 09:05 PM

If the AP175 is on its own RF domain and its completetly separate from the AP105 you could then create another AP-Group and make the changes on the RF (ARM settings) .

You could also create an AP-Specific setup and make the ARM changes just for the AP175

Make sure you check what's the current power level that ARM assigned , you can verify this running the following command :

show ap active 

Name Group IP Address 11g Clients 11g Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP 11a Clients 11a Ch/EIRP/MaxEIRP AP Type Flags Uptime Outer IP ---- ----- ---------- ----------- ------------------- ----------- ------------------- ------- ----- ------ -------- test-225-3 Feldberg-106 10.66.8.153 0 AP:HT:1/12/21 1 AP:HT:161-/18/22 225 Ada 16d:0h:11m:24s N/A

You may want to do some test this (Survey) to instead of improving wireless performance you may be creating another issue