Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ROAMING DIFFICULTIES

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ROAMING DIFFICULTIES

Posted Jan 31, 2012 10:15 PM

our company has setup a wireles mesh for Vodafon Ghana with Aruba MSR 4000's.For instance when a client is roaming from one AP to the other, when it get to the second AP with a very good reception it doesn't disconnect from the first AP that it is connected to..... to the new AP with much much better reception. How can I improve upon this.

• 2.  RE: ROAMING DIFFICULTIES

Posted Feb 01, 2012 02:05 AM

The "Station Handoff Assist" feature might help you, but be really careful and test thoroughly.

Check out this post.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-Handoff-assistance/m-p/63/highlight/true#M24

• 3.  RE: ROAMING DIFFICULTIES

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2012 04:35 AM

@The.racking.monkey wrote:

The "Station Handoff Assist" feature might help you, but be really careful and test thoroughly.

Check out this post.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-Handoff-assistance/m-p/63/highlight/true#M24

The MSR mesh router does not support "Station Handoff Assist", unfortunately.

• 4.  RE: ROAMING DIFFICULTIES

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2012 07:49 AM

It sounds like you have strong overlap between the MSRs. Do you have any data on the signal strength that the client can see the AP to which it is still associated when it has moved close to the other AP that has the stronger signal? You may need to reduce the power ouput on the APs so that there is lees overlap which will "encourge" the client to roam as it moves.

• 5.  RE: ROAMING DIFFICULTIES

Posted Feb 04, 2012 07:20 AM

Do you mean I should reduce the EIRP of the MSR's

• 6.  RE: ROAMING DIFFICULTIES

Posted Feb 04, 2012 11:48 AM

You could do, but that doesn't alway encourage stuborn clients to roam. Some like to stick until they almost get total transmit/receive errors and no valid frames. I'd suggest tinkering with your clients if you can retain control over all their settings. Then if that fails, maybe try reducing EIRP like you say.

Good luck.

• 7.  RE: ROAMING DIFFICULTIES

Posted Feb 07, 2012 09:02 AM

Ok i will try and see....Thanks

• 8.  RE: ROAMING DIFFICULTIES

Posted Feb 03, 2012 03:41 AM

Oh yeah. Of course. Thanks and Doh.

In that case, yeah inspecting client status is probably the way forward as obviously the client is the deterministic factor in terms of roaming. You could try toying with the clients roaming characteristics, but I have generally seen sub-optimum results with that. More often than not, it destablises them unless the adapter is a really good one.