Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

RSSI value

I have a building p2p using 2 AP-175's in mesh mode.

It's been working great but some recent storms in the area moved the antennas a bit. I logged into the controller and found the RSSI value at 14.

(Aruba6000) #show ap mesh topology

Mesh Cluster Name: aruba-mesh

-----------------------------

Name   Mesh Role   Parent  Path Cost  Node Cost  Link Cost  Hop Count  RSSI  Rate Tx/Rx  Last Update  Uplink Age     #Children  ---------   ------                   ---------  ---------  ---------  ---------  ----  ----------  -----------  ----------     ---------

Kellogg Portal to Trans   Portal (N)  -           3          1          0          0          0     -           41s          50d:5h:9m:52s  1

Trans Point from Kellogg  Point (N)   Kellogg Portal to Trans  4          0          0          1          14    24/6        36s          1h:10m:47s     0

Total APs :2 (R): Recovery AP. (N): 11N Enabled. For Portals 'Uplink Age' equals uptime.

So I have a tech out there now remounting and lining it all back up. I'm logged onto the controller looking for the RSSI to go up. The problem I'm having is that the output of show ap mesh topology doesn't exactly seem to be real time. I can see the Last Update time just keep climbing and it seems like it's just showing me old data.

Is there a way to have it update faster so I can tell my tech if he has it properly alligned?

Any help much apprieciated !!!

Thanks,

Regular Contributor I

Re: RSSI value

The link appears to be up and pc's are able to connect to the network but VOIP calls are choppy. Normally I look for a RSSI value of 25 or higher. Does that sound about right?

Regular Contributor I

Looks like the update time is set for 10 minutes because that is how often the "show ap mesh topology" command is updating.

If there is a better way to do this or if anyone knows how to shorten that timer please let me know.

Thanks

Aruba

Jaasperff,

Hmmm....that command updates much more often than that.  I can't tell you exactly what the update interval is in the software, but I can tell you that when I configure ArubaOS mesh I am accustomed to relatively prompt changes when I do something like connect an antenna, move an antenna, etc.

It's possible that there may be more damage to the physical installation than just misaligned antennas.  Any storm strong enough to move an antenna should immediately raise questions about either other damage or the quality of the original physical installation.

Another piece of evidence for this is the magnitude of the SNR drop you are reporting.  11dB is a huge number for a small misalignment.  Now if you're using very high gain, narrow beamwidth antennas it's certainly possible.  But suggests there is more going on that you may have detected so far.

I'd recommend that you also check all your connectors for moisture and watertightness.  Make sure the antenna is right side up and that the weep holes are on the bottom and that water is not trapped inside the radome.  

-cl
Regular Contributor I

The solution was to take the AP's down, default them, reprovision them on the controller and then rehang them.

(I checked and we had the weep holes on the bottom. Honestly I never really thought about that and didn't really know if we had it right until I looked. Thanks for the reminder !!!)

Aruba

Great, glad you're back up!

-cl
MVP

Agree with Chuck, 11dB (unless a really long range shot) sounds like it could be more physical (incursion into a connector or antenna, large re-alignment, etc)

Also, if you want to check the RSSI/SNR more frequently, you can use the following command at the CLI:

show ap debug radio-stats ap-name <apname> radio 0 | include SNR

That will directly poll the radio at the time you run the command.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Regular Contributor I

Thanks for the command !!!

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: