Wireless Access

New Contributor

Radius - 1 instance of user login

Hi there. This one has me  a little stumped. Currently running Aruba 3200 controller with 6.1.3.6. Have radius authentication setup and working fine BUT would like it to only allow ONE instance of a user at a time. eg. If a user is logged on via their iPad and then they login with their laptop, the connection last connection is terminated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ice looked for a solution both in the Aruba OS and the NPS on the windows 2008 radius server with no joy.

Thank you. :)

Guru Elite

Re: Radius - 1 instance of user login

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately a RADIUS server by itself can't do this kind of tracking. You need another service that keeps track of authorizations and sessions.

ClearPass offers this capability via the Insight database which can track the number of devices in use by a user and perform policy decisions based on the number.

Before ClearPass was around, the answer to this question was "there just isn't really an easy way". Now with ClearPass, it is very easy to implement.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
New Contributor

OK thanks for that, wasn't the answer I was hoping for. I have looked at clearpass but due to the infrastructure and not long ago implementing a sonicwall UTM system Im really trying to decrease the amount of management involved in this enterprise network as it is. 

On this, is not possible to setup a reduplication method whereas if a user is timed out then they would be required to re-enter their password? Not auto connect again.

Thank you. 

Frequent Contributor II

If you can use freeRadius as your radius server, this has a feature called Simultanous-Use which could be set to 1.

Look it up and see if it can solve your problem :)

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/www.freeradius.org/blob/master/radiusd/doc/Simultaneous-Use

-----------------------------------
-ACMX #352-
Remember to Kudo if a post helped you! || Problem Solved? Click "Accept as Solution" in a post!
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: