Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Radius and Captive Portal

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Radius and Captive Portal

Posted Jan 15, 2014 11:18 AM

Good Morning,

I've been having issues with users connecting with various Windows XP, 7, or Windows 8 machines to my 802.1x network with Radius authentication.  The Macs work just fine.  

I thought I'd create an open network that redirects users to a captive portal page then use the same Radius authentication point and get users authenticated easier.

Is there a way to use a model like this and still assign user roles based on the filter-id that is passed back from the Radius server like I do with 802.1x SSID?  

• 2.  RE: Radius and Captive Portal

Posted Jan 15, 2014 11:37 AM

Yes, you can return RADIUS attributes like role name.  However, do your clients not need to be connected to an encrypted network rather than an open network?

• 3.  RE: Radius and Captive Portal

Posted Jan 15, 2014 11:52 AM
    I suppose that could be an issue. Is there a way to have it encrypted? Another solution?

• 4.  RE: Radius and Captive Portal

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2014 11:57 AM

The only option in this scenario is to use a PSK.

What issues are the Windows clients having? Most times it is just a matter of accepting the server certificate.