Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Random disconnection from SSID

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Random disconnection from SSID

Posted May 23, 2016 05:23 AM

Hello everyone!

I am working on an issue with our current setup with Aruba. We are facing randomly disconnection from our APs and clients complaint they cannnot use the network.

Tested myself and I connect for 2 minutes with a good connection and then disconnected from the SSID.

From clearpass side, where we use only Guest mode for authentication, eveything seems normal. Authentication are green and disconnection are normally for inactivity, as expected.

On the controller I have checked every setup related to this topic:

Band Steering enabled

Client Match disabled

Drop Broadcast and Unknown Multicast enabled

Inter exchange between clients is disabled

Our setup is for several locations, 62 Access Points in remote mode and split-tunnel setup.

I am not receiving same complaints from other location with same Virtual AP configuration.

If you can give me some input or direction will be great!

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Random disconnection from SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 23, 2016 06:39 AM

How many access points at the largest location?

Are you using encryption?

What type of clients are being used?

• 3.  RE: Random disconnection from SSID

Posted May 24, 2016 03:42 AM

Thank you for your reply cjoseph.

Our largest location has 15 access points (the first one to report this issue), and is there for the last year or so. Issue started around a month ago. In average we have 5 to 8 APs per location.

SSID encryption is open, as the authentication is given from Guest on ClerPass.

Clients type is not something we control, the modality of usage is BYOD, so we can find pretty much everything. Mostly of the time medium range android devices that connect to 2.4G band, hope this gives you an idea.

I got the idea few days back that the massive usage of the band 2.4 may cause interference with APs and/or clients. But this does not explain why it doesn't happen in other locations.

• 4.  RE: Random disconnection from SSID

Posted May 26, 2016 10:34 AM

Furthermore, I had a chat with some users and they inform me the problem is when many people is at the location trying to connect. But during  moments of the day in which the location is not that full of people connectivity is good.

Is there any type of disconnection that could be generated by a big number of concurrent clients at the location?

• 5.  RE: Random disconnection from SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 26, 2016 12:11 PM
    Please PM me your email address so I can send you a link to upload your logs.tar.

• 6.  RE: Random disconnection from SSID

Posted Jun 01, 2016 05:48 AM

Hello Joseph,

Would you mind tell me how to get those logs you mentioned? I will really appreciate it.

Right now I am trying to debug the AP through console, but I cannot run the AP while connected to console.

Thanks

• 7.  RE: Random disconnection from SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 06:50 AM

I sent you a link.  Please try to get the logs around the time that the users would be having problems.  It would be difficult to determine the issue if it is not at the time with problems.

• 8.  RE: Random disconnection from SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2016 10:27 AM

Why is your user-idle-timeout in your AAA profile 60?  That will kick a user off after 60 seconds of inactivity...

aaa profile "Non****CPPM"
    user-idle-timeout 60