Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Re: Converting IAP into controller managed AP

I've a question regarding the conversion from IAP aruba instant AP to be managed by a mobility controller ,

I've 10 IAP-207 APs running on aruba-os 6.5.2.0 , i can manage them from a webpage through the ip of the master AP , automatically elected

The 10 APs are connected to Aruba/HP 2920 switch , each port of the switch which is connected to an AP is tagged in vlan 5 , 10 , these vlans are also created on the APs each vlan is for specific SSID wireless network .

And on the switch  each vlan has an uplink port "untagged" to the firewall lan ports .

Now i will deploy the "aruba controller 7010" to manage these APs , the question here is how the physical connection between the APs , the controller and  the switch be like ?

, also is there a software required for the controller or it will be managed through a webpage , and how i can

create 2 wireless networks on the controller each with a separate  uplink to the firewall as each port of the 2 firewall lan ports is the DHCP server for each vlan,

Also can i use the lan ports on the controller as uplinks to the firewall to avoid using the standard uplinks 1000base-x ports ?

Guru Elite

When you convert IAPs to campus APs, by default they tunnel all of their  user traffic to the controller.  The controller will then send the user traffic out one of its interfaces on the VLAN that they need to be in.

For example:

With IAP, you need to trunk all of the user VLANs needed to all of the APs.  

With a controller, you just trunk the controller itself to a layer 3 switch and tag any of the user VLANs you need.  All of the Campus APs tunnel all user traffic to the controller and the controller will place the

user VLAN onto the correct VLAN.  The access points would only need to be on an access port, and obtain an ip address that can route/forward the traffic to the controller.  The controller will then send the user traffic out on whatever VLAN is needed for that WLAN...

I hope this helps..

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

in my situation , the APs ports are tagged in vlan 5 , 10 , and untagged in vlan 15 to get a DHCP ip for management , you mean during the conversion i have to make these switch port only untagged in vlan 15 and make the switch port connected to the controller also untagged in vlan 15 to be in the same subnet and reachable by the AP and tagged in vlan 5 , 15  ? also i will create the WLAN networks again from the controller after the conversion or these networks will automatically appear on the controller's dashbaord , 

Guru Elite

Correct.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: