Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 08:49 AM

Hi,

I have a big hospital with many different types of laptops. (M3/AOS 6.1.3.7/AP-105 Units)

I notice that laptops with chipset of Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed and when needed,and sometime even doesn't roam until disconnecting.  (it's REALTEK MINI PCI EXPRESS ADAPTER II card and the chipset is 8129SE)

* I tried the newest drivers on LENOVO site and on REALTEK site.

* I tried disabling the power saving / and even did the roaming on HIGH in the client itself / I locked the TX on 100%..But nothing works it's like those chipset just dunno when to roam.

Other devices on that hospital (android/apple devices/windows mobile devices/ other laptops with different chipset working and roaming just fine)

Anyone notice any issue with this type of chipset?

Some other forums:

http://community.psion.com/knowledge/w/knowledgebase/1230.wifi-roaming-delay-using-wpa2-enterprise-on-aruba-wireless-infrastructure.aspx

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/R-and-L-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Frustrating-wireless-on-L412-and-L512/td-p/368357

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/R-and-L-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/L512-wireless-slow-unless-in-same-room-as-router/td-p/296198

please advise.

Thanks

Me

• 2.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 09:42 AM

Hello

On the cards option or on the admnistration tool of the card  do you have roaming option? for example on some intel cards there is  the roaming aggressiveness value section in which you can select something like maximum roaming..  The roaming depends a lot on the vendor 

We can always try other settings to HELP with the roaming like:

1-handoff assistant(did you try this?)

2-Local probe threshold(did you try this?)

Also take in mind that: if this a multicontroller envioment in which you got one AP which terminate in Local WC A and he is trying to roam to an AP which termiante on WC B then you need to set up the ip mobility, otherwise the connection all will drop..

Lets hope they finish fast with the 6.3 and we get client match to help us wtth the roaming issue :) thats a new feature thats coming out on the Aruba OS that will help us with this

Cheers

Carlos

• 3.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 09:48 AM

Hi NightShade,

Thanks for the fast respond.  :smileywink:(But please read agian my post,and also the links i attached)

1- I don't want to enable it , I only have issue with this specific chipset - all other clients (more than XXXX working gr8) working just fine **Enabling this option will effect other clients also... some time it's may effect preforemnce**

2 - I don't want to use it, I don't have any roam issue at all with other client - everything works great except those 8192SE laptops.

**Enabling this option will effect other clients also...It's good if you have to much nearby AP'S - high denisty ... and that's not the situation here**

I'm very aware to those limitations :) BUT - only 1 controller is used in that specifics hospital.

Any other ideas? Again - everything working great ,just roaming issue with those 8192SE realtek ....

• 4.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 09:53 AM

Seems that i'am not the only one: **Roaming ISSUE WITH RTL8192se**

v.png

• 5.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 10:07 AM

Sorry for not clicking on your links ;P

Well i know you said you didnt want to use them but you could try those features on, some clients need them some clients dont...

I actually would create a new SSID a testing one  i would configure local probe threhold  on that SSID to see if it helps with the problem.. if it dont help well at least you know that doestn help...  :)

The hand off assist would be harder because thats on the arm profie...

• 6.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 10:09 AM

How many laptops are those? like a 1%  of the population? :)

Lets wait for Collin to see what he says :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 7.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2013 12:00 PM

If no other client is having problems, I would contact RealTek support:  http://www.realtek.com/contact/contactView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=1&Conn=0

• 8.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 12:09 PM

In addition to what Collin suggested...

Im starting to give this to my clients

http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/interoperability/#WLANChipsets

Its a lis of Interoperability of cards that aruba alredy tested... i just tell them that when they are buying something Wifi related to take a look to it and if they are able to buy stuff that are in the list... its a way of the client knowing and he can be sure he will get soemthing that works pretty good with Aruba wireless devices that should not give them issues.

Cheers

Carlos

• 9.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 12:15 PM

well true hehe but its something....

A good idea would be if they put a DATE of when was lasted updated this list... now you mention that i dont see that... and it would be good.

• 10.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 12:04 PM
    10x on all the info & tips,cjoseph and nightshade.

• 11.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 12:12 PM

Good one..but dosent contain all the avilable hardware out there ..and aint so updated.

• 12.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 14, 2013 12:14 PM

True.  The hardware interoperability list is a good starting point to determine if a device has been tested, but it is not an all-inclusive list.  Many devices come on the market every day and we depend on our customers for feedback on how they work with numerous configurations.

• 13.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 12:19 PM

Hello Collin i do see a link of contact us if we dont see the device in the list

We should ask for result for an specific device? in there?

Or are you expecting us as partner to give you a feedback that well i see this is working really good like for example in this situation kdisc98 could tell  aruba that all the other list of chipset he has are working AWSOME... and he should give a feedback to aruba?

Or how does this work? do you know? i mean i know is not your department but just for any chance you know? :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 14.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Apr 14, 2013 12:26 PM
    TRUE TRUE !! 10X NightShade for speaking my words.... i need to go to the shower (it's evening here) and u saving me time :)

• 15.  RE: Realtek 8192SE doesn't roam as needed......

Posted Jul 23, 2013 11:01 AM

I think the best way to improve client roaming would be AOS 6.3 and client-match.

I would give that a try.