Wireless Access

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

Posted Apr 02, 2012 02:51 PM

We have been seeing this message in syslogs when certain devices try to do and Assoc Request and get and Assoc failure back. Is this generated because the device sent something the AP or controller didn't like or is it AP or controller generated?

• 2.  RE: Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 02, 2012 03:27 PM

The #1 reason is when you try to associate a WEP or WPA or WPA2-TKIP client with an 802.11n SSID.

• 3.  RE: Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

Posted Apr 03, 2012 07:41 AM

This is a device trying to connect to an AP-65 using 802.1X

• 4.  RE: Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 03, 2012 08:19 AM

What device are you trying with and what type of encryption do you have enabled on the AP?

• 5.  RE: Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

Posted Apr 03, 2012 10:22 AM

The device is a Honeywell Dolphin 9900 using 802.1X with WPA2-AES.

• 6.  RE: Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

Posted Apr 30, 2012 01:17 PM

We are having the same issue as well with MC70s

• 7.  RE: Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

Posted May 02, 2012 01:10 PM

Our lead tested another newer device and the issue was still present.  Changed Security/Encryption from Mix Mode to WPA-TKIP and it works fine.  

• 8.  RE: Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 02, 2012 01:18 PM

@salvi wrote:

Our lead tested another newer device and the issue was still present.  Changed Security/Encryption from Mix Mode to WPA-TKIP and it works fine.  

Please open a case if you do not have one open already so we can determine what is your issue.  That will determine if it is a bug, or if it is a configuration / device issue.

• 9.  RE: Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

Posted Dec 15, 2016 10:17 AM

I know this is an old thread but it was my first hit when researching the issue.  My issue occured on one VAP after we rebooted the master controller for maintnance reasons (The controllers SNMP was still telling our monitoring system that APs existed on the controller when they had already been deleted.  We are running 6.4.4.8 on Aruba7210-US)

Found my solution in 6.4.4.6_Release_Notes.pdf

Symptom: A client fails to connect to an SSID. The log file for the event lists the reason as Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP. Scenario: This issue occurs during a failover in a High Availability (HA) setup, when no Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) is assigned for a Virtual Access Point (VAP) profile and the VAP is configured in tunnel mode. Workaround: Configure a VLAN ID in the VAP profile by using the vlan CLI command.

I looked at the VAP and the VLAN had disappeared.  once i readded the vlan all the clients instantly connected. 

• 10.  RE: Reason Capability requested by STA unsupported by AP

Posted May 30, 2017 09:07 AM
    Definitely was my issue but I am on 6.5.1.3. Will take a look at the release notes.

Found this but it relates to PSK only.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Bug-Tracker/Bug-ID-125889-Pre-Shared-Key-PSK-clients-failed-to-associate-to/ta-p/254036