Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reboot after installing licenses????

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Reboot after installing licenses????

Posted Mar 18, 2013 10:26 AM

Are you serious??????

You have to reboot the controller after installing AP and PEF licenses?

Unbelieveable.........

• 2.  RE: Reboot after installing licenses????

Posted Mar 18, 2013 10:46 AM

I'll bite.

Why is that unbelievable?

• 3.  RE: Reboot after installing licenses????

Posted Mar 18, 2013 11:24 AM

I have a 4 hour a month downtime window. The controllers are Master/Standby. The Master has the new licenses.

• 4.  RE: Reboot after installing licenses????

Posted Mar 18, 2013 11:32 AM

You can slicken up the process for doing this. You'll get anomalies along the way whilst you're in the process (sync and show outputs etc) of course but consider...

1. Apply licenses to standby and reboot it (check your config, including default roles).

2. Failover to your standby.

3. Apply licenses to the master and reboot it.

3. Failback to master manually is not automatic (config dependent).

Assuming you're not doing a code upgrade, failing back to the master shouldn't be too impactful.

If you're applying PEFs, you'll need to be mindful of the consequences of this work of course. Note that the user roles and connectivity experiences may alter from what you had before. We'd need to see your whole config to validate.

What you're doing is a major system upgrade, so the business expecting it to be seamless is a big ask.

• 5.  RE: Reboot after installing licenses????

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 18, 2013 11:08 AM

@BillMaguire wrote:

Are you serious??????

You have to reboot the controller after installing AP and PEF licenses?

Unbelieveable.........

You might be able to get away with not rebooting for a license that does not involve commands, like the AP license.  For the PEF license, there are commands and roles that were not available at boot time that need to be added, hence the reboot.  Does that make sense?

• 6.  RE: Reboot after installing licenses????
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 01:35 PM

@BillMaguire:    You only have to reboot after installing a license for the first time on a controller.  As you increment and apply additional licenses of the same type, you do not have to reboot.  I'm assuming your circumstance is around the addition of PEF since you can't have a functional controller without an AP license on it.   As Colin mentioned, this is necessary for some licensing as the features are not available without the license; this is especially true for the PEF license.

• 7.  RE: Reboot after installing licenses????

Posted Mar 19, 2013 05:48 AM

Thanks. I have APs I need to install and did not have a maintenence window to reboot controllers.

• 8.  RE: Reboot after installing licenses????

Posted Jul 27, 2015 04:56 AM

If the controller is running with EVAL license of AP and PEFNG , can we avoid reboot while applying perpetual licnese . AOS is 6.3 .14 

• 9.  RE: Reboot after installing licenses????

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2015 06:49 AM

mshafi@abc.com,

If it already has a current evaluation license, adding a permanent license should not force a reboot.