Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reduced range after firmware upgrade - IAP205 and IAP215

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Reduced range after firmware upgrade - IAP205 and IAP215

Posted Sep 20, 2017 11:48 AM

We have 3 manufacturing sites, two with IAP-215's, and one with IAP205's.  They had all been on 6.4.4.x firmware and had been doing relatively fine (most recently on 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.6). 

I upgraded two of the 3 sites a major revision (going to 6.5 - technically 6.5.3.2-6.5.3.2).  6.5.x had been out quite a while so thought it was time to make the jump. 

Since then I have heard many complaints from the two upgraded sites about coverages "gaps" that did not exist before.  No other settings were changed.  Lots of disconnect complaints, and very specific complaining about connections that are slow - and if they move out of that location the wireless becomes more responsive again.

i am not getting similar complaints from the 3rd site that I have NOT upgraded firmware on.  I was initially wary of firmware causing an issue, but with the sudden drop in quality, combined with the 3rd site not having issues, the most obvious reason would be firmware. 

Has anyone else experienced significant range or disconnect issues after upgrading their instant AP's from 6.4.x to 6.5.x?  I checked the ReadMe notes and didn't find anything real helpful.  Our clients are running radius and WPA2 authentication, and are generally tablet users (win8 with intel radios) or Symbol 9190 scanners - with 2.4 and 5ghz available. 

I am going to try downgrading the firmware soon, but don't want to get stuck on old firmware forever. 
    Thanks in advance. 

• 2.  RE: Reduced range after firmware upgrade - IAP205 and IAP215

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 20, 2017 04:00 PM

Please try increasing the 2.4 and 5ghz ARM max transmit power by 3, to see if it solves your issue.

• 3.  RE: Reduced range after firmware upgrade - IAP205 and IAP215
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 21, 2017 08:29 AM

Is there a Bug ID for this issue and does it also affect CAPs?

We had to move to 6.5.3.2 for bug fixes and our coverage complaints

are up by 200%

• 4.  RE: Reduced range after firmware upgrade - IAP205 and IAP215

Posted Sep 22, 2017 10:25 AM

I'ved increased min/max from 12/18 to 15/21.  I forget - what is the max of IAP205's and IAP215's?  The interface goes up to like 33 but I'm pretty sure that's not a real option - the documentation can be read a few different ways so I'm not 100% sure. 
    I'll see if increasing transmit power by 3 will help at 1 site.

I downgraded the most problematic site a few days ago to a stable 6.4 version (6.4.4.8-4.2.4.8).  So far user feedback has been good, but I will run it longer to verify.  Users described the wireless quality downturn as "abrupt" when it originally happened, so if 6.5 firmware caused the issue, the upturn in their wireless experience should also be as abrupt. 

• 5.  RE: Reduced range after firmware upgrade - IAP205 and IAP215

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2017 11:33 AM

You can find out the max for each AP by using the command here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_423_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#CLI_commands/show ap allowed_max_EIRP.htm?Highlight=eirp