Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Redudancy Option for MasterBackup over L3

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Redudancy Option for MasterBackup over L3

Posted Mar 19, 2015 04:06 AM

Hi All

I am in process of designing a soultion in which I want Master to be placed at one location and backup to be placed at other location. VLANs for each location are local to each site. These two locations are atleast 500Km apart and I do not have any option of extending a single VLAN from one location to another for the purpose of VRRP. Is there any other option which I can utilize to design this solution ???? Any solution where I can configure Redundancy on L3 boundary and still get Master and Backup to work ????

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Redudancy Option for MasterBackup over L3

Posted Mar 19, 2015 05:33 AM

Hi Friend,

Aruba Master-Standby works on VRRP therefore we can not bring up Master redundancy over L3.

BTW if share your requirement I can suggest a best possible solution.

Please feel free for any support require on this.

• 3.  RE: Redudancy Option for MasterBackup over L3

Posted Mar 19, 2015 07:23 AM

Is there any reason you cannot use a Master-Local setup for the controllers? You can use LMS-IP and Backup LMS-IP addresses for AP redundancy.

If the VLANs are not the same at each site you can used a named VLAN, so the name is the same at both sites but it is mapped to a different VLAN ID at each site.

• 4.  RE: Redudancy Option for MasterBackup over L3

Posted Mar 24, 2015 07:54 AM
      |   view attached

Hi all

I am attaching a reference diagram for the kind of architecture I am struggling to achive. Any suggestion to implement the same will be welcome.

As per required design I can identify few problems

1. Ideally, controller should be connected to two switches. These two switches being Cisco, should be running HSRP and have HSRP VIP as their deault gateway. Other option is to have Cisco switch configured as VSS ad create LAG towards the same. This is desired for redundancy to Master/Backup controller at the network edge.

2. LMS at the remote sites will need to contact the active Master. Master/Backup again is desired from the redundancy point of view. As these controllers are far apart from each other I might not be able to extend a VLAN specifically for VRRP between two sites. Reason I am looking at option where L3 can be configured to provide VRRP kind functionallity.

3. As per solution, both the master and backup should be accessible to the rest of the domain.

Looking for suggestions from experts to implement this scenario.

Thanks 

• 5.  RE: Redudancy Option for MasterBackup over L3

Posted Mar 24, 2015 08:07 AM

HI,

For this requirement you have  one work around,

1. Create a L2 GRE to extend the VLAN (VRRP VLAN) from the master to the standby

2. Try to configure VRRP and Master redundancy

There may be some concerns such as, DB sync delay and failover delay. try this and let us know. even I also replicate this and post if any positive outcome.

• 6.  RE: Redudancy Option for MasterBackup over L3

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2015 07:36 AM
    You could make the second controller a local instead of a master backup.

Thanks,
    Tim