Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Redundancy Question

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 19, 2012 08:15 PM

Hello i got a question about redundancy

Okay i got one client which has one 650 controller

He wants to buy another one because they need to expand  they are buying more APS

We were thinking in puttting master local in both of them.

But then i mentioned him that you could do redundancy with them, and he got interested in this  as even if there arent thousands of APS or users  its really important for them having it always up .

Guess we could sell it  2 3200 but then the 650 will be useless

It is possible to do something like this?

one 3200

and 2 650s

if the 3200 dies then the aps goes to both 650 or viceversa?

Or what could be the best solution for him?

• 2.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 19, 2012 10:50 PM
    More detail would be required to give an accurate suggestion. However, the technology is there for you to slice this many ways. Using vrrp (if all controllers are on same layer 2 segment) or using the backup LMS option, you could have APs that primarily aggregate to the 3200 to fail to the 650, or vice versa. But as for a recommendation, you would need to share some more requirements as well as details on the customer's network.

• 3.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 19, 2012 11:17 PM

Like what info you would need?

So basically its possible to have  the APS pointing to the 3200 and then if this one fails the APS will fail over to a single 650

My question was regarding having 2 650s.

I mean

having all aps pointing to  one 3200 and then if  he fail then all the aps distribute between both 2 650s

If using backup LMS i guess i could have 2 ap groups  1 pointing to one 650 and the ohter pointing to the other 650

I need to review my notes about redundancy buti got my notes in the office....

But basically i just want to know if its possible to do that.   Ill try doing it in a lab and everything :)

Forgot telling

Thanks for the reply!

• 4.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 19, 2012 11:51 PM

Hi, 

we need some additional details like how many APs in the entire deployment ?

all the controllers in same location or in same Lan segment ? 

Instead of using one controller to terminate all the APs and have other as standby, you can load balance the APs across the controllers and if any one goes down the others should be able to take over. 

I would recommand VRRP, if you have the controllers in the same VLAN. if they are in different VLANs, Please use LMS and Bkp-lms for redundancy.

• 5.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 19, 2012 11:59 PM
    What info?...I'd like to know how many APs are to be distributed across the controllers. Also, can all controllers be on the same subnet/vlan? If so, I agree with Vinod: use vrrp. As for tr config, use two ap-groups each with a different system profile. In the system profile1, specify the lms-ip to equal a vrrp address between the controllers where controller1 is primary. Create another system profile with the opposite. Then evenly distribute your APs across the groups.

That's just one way to do it. You can do the same approach using backup lms instead of vrrp.

• 6.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 20, 2012 12:05 AM

something around 25 APs

Both WC will be in the same VLAN

• 7.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 20, 2012 12:15 AM
    Definitely recommend vrrp then.

With 25aps, they can't all fit on a 650. So you'll need something bigger. Since they're growing, you could discuss with them two 3200s and implementing a redundant architecture. If Aruba won't offer a discount/trade-in for the existing 650, they can always use it as a dev/test controller.

• 8.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 20, 2012 12:21 AM

well yeah im aware they dont fit on the 650.  Thats why i was asking about

one 3200  and 2 650s

He already got 1 650 which bough like a few months ago...

Now i told him about the redundancy he seems he wants it.

The thing is that as he just bough the 650 i didnt want him to then buy 2 3200s maybe he wont like that

So thats why i was asking if having  all aps maybe pointing for example to the 650s and if one of the 650 fails they will point then to the 3200 if both 650 fails then the 3200 can handle everything.

Now yeah i think the best could be if he bough  2 3200s and maybe getting a good discount for the 650 but if he doesnt like that idea iwould like to have something else we could work with.

• 9.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 20, 2012 12:44 AM

Hi Carlos, 

I agree with you. 2* 3200 will fit them perfectly. With 2* 650 controllers, the max they can reach is 32 APs (without redundancy)and currently they have 25 APs. 

1* 3200 + 2* 650 with N+1 redundancy, you can go Max of 16+ (2*8) = 32 APs 

2*3200 using VRRP or Lms & BKP-lms redundancy we can use 16+16= 32 APs. 

• 10.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 20, 2012 12:50 AM

Thank you very much

Well i hope they want to go with the best approach :) which is number 1, even if they have to spend more.

• 11.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Aug 14, 2012 05:10 PM

I got another question abou this

it is possible to have  this scenario

25 APS

3 650 WC

i got one 650 as master and 2 650 as local

in one local 650 i got 16 aps in the other got 9 aps

If one local 650 fail they could lms to the master 650... im Aware that if the other local 650 fail the APS wont have anywhere to point as the master 650 will be full already...

Its  like a semi redundancy but its cheaper....  it has cons i know but if the client is low in budget we can maybe offer something like this...

It is possible?

• 12.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Aug 15, 2012 10:25 AM

Yes, that is possible, and as you anticipated, if both locals fail, the master(failover) wouldn't have enough capacity. It'll be first-come-first-served for the APs.

• 13.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Aug 15, 2012 07:21 PM

Ryan

Thank you very much for your time in asnwering

Cheers

• 14.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Aug 16, 2012 08:56 AM

No problem! That's why this user community exists. :smileyvery-happy:

• 15.  RE: Redundancy Question

Posted Apr 20, 2012 12:16 AM
    They= your customer, not Aruba.