Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Redundancy for AP´s

Hello to everyone, 

I have 2 controllers (as we said Controller A and Controller B) clustered as well as running VRRP. Also we are running LACP on ports 0/0/0 – 1 on both controllers.

-        I have configured the virtual AP as you can see (192.168.109.30 is the VIP from VRRP):

LMS.png

This way, data from clients will flow anyway, any time if any controller is UP.

-        I have configured to use ADP for discovering the Master controller and download the image:

master.png

So far every thing is OK.

Well, If I shut down Controller A the AP losts the conection and stop working, so, it means, it is not able to go on working with out Controller A. At the same time, Controller B turns to be Master for cluster and VRRP so, it is OK.

The AP reboots itself again and again till Controller A is connected again.

Is it the right way to work??

If you need more information do not hesitate contact me.

Thank you in advanced

Guru Elite

Re: Redundancy for AP´s

In the AP Group (configuration> wireless> AP Configuration> Edit), expand AP and then AP system profile.  In the AP system profile, put the VRRP IP in the LMS-IP parameter.  That tells what ip address access points in that AP group point to.

When an access point comes up, it finds a controller.  After that it is redirected to the ip address in the LMS-IP field.  You want that to be the VRRP ip address..

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

[ Edited ]

It has been already configured. The images I attached was taken from the LMS IP field you said.

Guru Elite

Do you have the controllers configured as master-local or master-backup master?  Do they have the same configuration?  Do they have the same VLANs created on both controllers?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

[ Edited ]

As I can see on the config Master - Stand by, so I guess they are Master - Backup.

Master has several VLANS that the backup does not have but they have not been enabled so far.

MVP

Can you please share how do you have configure your VRRP ?

Make sure that your VRRP is not in a shutdown state too

show vrrp <vrrp id>

Also does the VRRP VLAN exist on both controller and is it up/up ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA

vrrp.JPG

192.168.109.30 is VRRP IP

The upper part is taken from the cluster (wich Master is Aruba_7210_1), the other part is taken from backup controller (Aruba7210_Bull_2)

MVP

Are any of these 2 controllers acting as Master (Not in VRRP) or do you have another controller for that and these are the locals ?

Have you console into the AP to see what are they doing when this happens or what controller they are trying reach?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Guru Elite

1.  Start a constant ping to 192.168.109.30 (ping 192.168.109.30 -t)

2.  Start the failover process by unplugging the cable to the Master controller

3.  See if you can still ping 192.168.109.30

4.  See if the access points end up on that controller by doing a "show ap database" on the "new" Master Controller.

Colin Joseph

vfabian wrote:

Are any of these 2 controllers acting as Master (Not in VRRP) or do you have another controller for that and these are the locals ?

Have you console into the AP to see what are they doing when this happens or what controller they are trying reach?

The first one is the master for the cluster. When it is down, the second one takes over.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: