Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Redundant tunnel controllers?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Redundant tunnel controllers?

Posted Apr 08, 2013 02:14 PM

We are currently usng a 3200 controllers where all our Guest tunnels terminate to from each location.  We want to setup a redundant controller as well.  Is there a specific way of setting this up since each remote location is pointing to the IP address of that single controller for the tunnel termination?

• 2.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

Posted Apr 08, 2013 02:41 PM

All these tunnels are over a L3 link.  Can the tunnels terminate on a VRRP address of the paired controllers?

• 3.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

Posted Apr 11, 2013 09:51 PM

You can user the LMS backup ip option under the AP System profile

• 4.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

Posted Apr 12, 2013 06:25 PM

I think hes asking about GRE tunnels for guest wireless users -- tunnelling from remote controllers back to a central one for captive-portal and drop off on the Internet (or whatever)

Even if he's not, I will -- I'd like to have Guests able to get to the internet over the "primary" controller with an egress, and have a "secondary" controller as well.

With two controllers at my HQ, would I put them both on my internet facing VLAN and just tunnel each remote controller to both of them?

• 5.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 12, 2013 06:51 PM
    You can terminate a tunnel on a VRRP, yes.

• 6.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

Posted Apr 16, 2013 05:48 PM

We have a controller dedicated for RAPs and tunnel termination from each of the local controllers in the enterprise.

This controller is located in the DMZ of the data center.  We want to have this controller be redundant with another same controller.  

We want to be able to only modify one controller and the changes to replicate to the redundant one.  

Seeing how tunnels can terminate on a VRRP, we can solve the tunnel redundancy that way. We should be able to use the same for the RAP redundancy correct?  We would just nat the outside IP to the inside VRRP address right?

• 7.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 16, 2013 05:51 PM
    You cannot terminate a Rap on a vrrp if it is behind a stateful firewall, no.

• 8.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

Posted Apr 16, 2013 06:06 PM

The RAPs are connection from the outside using a public IP.  Could we not just nat that address to the VRRP on the inside?

If not, what't he best solution to provide redundant RAP controllers for outside RAP connections and redundant tunnel connections for inside tunnels?

• 9.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 16, 2013 06:08 PM
    Stateful firewalls do not like vrrp behind them.

I would give each controller a matted public IP address then use DNS to distribute the two addresses to the rap.

• 10.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

Posted Apr 16, 2013 06:13 PM

Using the DNS option, the RAPs would have both DNS names and try the second one if the first of the list fails?

We also have an F5 device in the DMZ, would it be best to place the controllers behind the F5 and having it do the load balancing?

• 11.  RE: Redundant tunnel controllers?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 16, 2013 06:19 PM

With DNS, you put a DNS hostname in the rap.  On the DNS server you put two addresses.  The rap will receive both addresses and try the first one and then the second one.

I have never tried the load balancer. I will let others comment.