Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Registering campus APs behind the wireless client bridges to controller?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Registering campus APs behind the wireless client bridges to controller?

Posted Apr 11, 2017 01:30 PM

My requirement is quite complex.

Stage 1:

Since Aruba does not have outdoor rated wireless client bridges, I have bought in "Cisco outdoor Autonomous AP" configured as "wireless client bridge(uWGB in cisco terminology)" to associate on Aruba WLAN. The wired hosts connected behind the Cisco uWGB associates absolutely fine. 

This requirement was to serve wired host that are within the moving vehicles and the network to them being extended by the Cisco uWGB mounted on top of these moving vehicles through Aruba WLAN. 

Stage 2:

The requirement got more complex when I got even the wireless client devices to be operated from within these moving vehicles. In order to accompish this, I am planning to introduce an Aruba Campus AP to sit behind an Cisco uWGB and serve as normal campus AP for the wireless hosts within the moving vehicles. 

The question is quite weird though, "is it possible for the controller to campus AP communication to happen over the wireless uplink with campus AP sitting behind Cisco uWGB?"

Aruba APs(Campus/ Mesh APs)  >>>>>>>>wireless>>>>>>>>> Cisco uWGB +++++++++++wired++++++++++++Aruba Campus AP >>>>>>>>wireless>>>>>>>>>>Wireless hosts

Or is it mandatory to have wired connectivity between the Controller and Campus AP?

Please provide inputs on possible scenarios of ful fulling my requirement. 

• 2.  RE: Registering campus APs behind the wireless client bridges to controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2017 01:50 PM

Why would you put another access point behind a workgroup bridge, instead of having your clients connect to the first AP that the bridge is connecting to?

• 3.  RE: Registering campus APs behind the wireless client bridges to controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2017 01:55 PM

I mean, if the bridge can see APs, the clients would be able to see the APs, right?  How fast would the vehicle be moving?  Would there be roaming issues between the AP that is behind the bridge and the APs that are in the infrastructure?

• 4.  RE: Registering campus APs behind the wireless client bridges to controller?

Posted Apr 11, 2017 03:23 PM

The bridge can see the APs because it is mounted above the moving vehicles for being outdoor rated, having direct line of sight with infrastructure APs and due to good reciever sentitivity it has.While the clients are inside the moving vehicles and the signal strenght they recieve is lot more weaker for they being poor reciever sensitivity legacy hand held devices. Thus in stage 2, for the clients which do not have ethernet interface, it is planned to put the campus AP(inside the vehicle) behind the client bridge to get it registered with the controller.

There is no likelihood of having roaming issues between the AP that is behind the bridge and the APs that are in the infrastructure.

• 5.  RE: Registering campus APs behind the wireless client bridges to controller?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 11, 2017 03:30 PM

Less expensive is a cradlepoint device that would physically connect to the bridge and broadcast a separate SSID.

• 6.  RE: Registering campus APs behind the wireless client bridges to controller?

Posted Apr 11, 2017 03:42 PM

Thanks Joseph. Will look for the option for cradlepoint device.

However is the requirement of Aruba campus AP behind the client bridge registering the Aruba controller  possible?

What are the possible means to register an Aruba Campus AP behind a client bridge to the Aruba controller?

• 7.  RE: Registering campus APs behind the wireless client bridges to controller?

Posted Apr 20, 2017 05:38 AM

Dear Folks,

I have got this working in my test setup. Please provide your valuable comments.

Scenario:

An Aruba Campus AP added behind Cisco uWGB(Wireless client bridge). The Cisco uWGB being associated on Aruba WLAN.

Aruba WLC -------- Aruba AP>>>>>>>Cisco Universal WGB 829 router(as a wireless client bridge)-----Aruba AP(as a wired host behind client bridge)>>>>>>Wireless client

Tested this scenario in our lab and it is working fine when Cisco uWGB is associated on Aruba WLAN through open SSID. All the SSIDs defined against the AP group which the campus AP is part of are broadcasted through this Campus AP which is behind the Cisco uWGB.

Appears PAPI inside a PAPI works, any comments?

Need Aruba recommendation for any additional consideration being taken care of on this setup.