Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Regulatory Domains?

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Regulatory Domains?

Posted Dec 26, 2011 07:35 PM

I've been doing some research recently about Aruba hardware and there is still something that evades me: Regulatory Domains

When it comes to Mobility Controllers, can Rest of World  controllers such as the 650 (not 650-US) or 651 (not 651-US) be configured to function within the US regulatory domain?  If so, and assuming the hardware always remains configured for US use while within the US, will Aruba sell and provide support for the hardware or will Aruba decline support to anyone using non "-US" part numbers within the US?

Finally, what is the "-IL" designation in some part numbers for and which domain does it refer to?

• 2.  RE: Regulatory Domains?

Posted Dec 27, 2011 01:00 AM

After combing through some more KB articles, I found one that talks about how the regulatory domains work.

It seems that unrestricted controllers can be set to a particular domain only once when the unit is first powered on and cannot be changed thereafter, while US and IL controller are pre- set to the domains for the United States and Israel, respectively.

So then having this info, which ArubaCare products and licenses would I have to purchase?  Can the SN1-650-US SKU be purchased and used or would I have to purchase the SN1-650 SKU?

On an unrelated note, what entities qualify for the education pricing SKUs?  Would a student testing in a lab environment qualify or would the SKU's only be valid for educational institutions directly?

• 3.  RE: Regulatory Domains?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 28, 2011 08:49 AM

You should talk with your local sales team about this. There are no "education" models. You should avoid the "US" or "IL" models, as those are specifically for the country designated.

If you do not know who your local sales team is, please go here and contact the appropriate office for your country: http://www.arubanetworks.com/company/contact-us/

• 4.  RE: Regulatory Domains?

Posted Dec 28, 2011 02:47 PM

I see that I didn't mention the fact that I am within the US regulatory domain, and as such would either need to configure an unrestricted controller for the US domain or obtain a -US part number.

As far as ArubaCare goes, there actually do seem to be "education" versions, as can be evidenced by the existence of the EN1 series of part numbers, but other than the phrase "FOR EDUCATION" in the part number I have been unable to find *any* additional information online about it.

As it turns out, "talking with my local sales team" is like pulling teeth.  After several days of trying to get ahold of someone at Aruba USA I spoke with someone who wasn't actually able to answer my question regarding the ArubaCare including my question about which entities qualify for the education prices.

I was hoping someone who has already run into my questions before would be able to answer them andecdotally.

• 5.  RE: Regulatory Domains?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 28, 2011 04:01 PM

Ah, you are referring to educational support, not actual hardware. Yes, I do see the edu support.

Yes, it is my understanding to qualify for the EN1 support contracts, you must be an educational institution. I do not think a student testing in a lab at a non-educational business qualifies for the EN1 support contract.

Since you are in the US, I would order the US part numbers then.