Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reinstall firmware RAP-2WG

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Reinstall firmware RAP-2WG

Posted Dec 03, 2012 04:10 PM

Hey folks,

I'm having some issues with some brand new RAP-2WG's not connecting. I'm receiving an error in the logs as;

rap_store_ip_map_for_downgrade error in reading flash

And from additional forum posts (http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Remote-Networking/New-batch-of-RAP-2WG-s-will-not-connect/td-p/7135) I've found a likely fix is to reinstall the firmware.

The device is currently running 5.0.4.0 and the controller is an Aruba650 running 6.1.1.0.

Now, I'm really new to Aruba gear, and this may sound silly, but I have no idea how to go about upgrading firmware on the RAP's. From what I understand, it can be done from the controller, but this won't work if I can't get the controller and the RAP's to talk nicely together until I do this firmware reinstall/update.

Can anyone give me a heads up?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Reinstall firmware RAP-2WG

Posted Dec 03, 2012 07:17 PM

That should not happen

Did you try doing the factory reset to the remote AP? it will revert also with a firmware it has on another partiition it hink

If that does not work... then open a support case or try upgrading the controller because that looks like a bug...

If it happens witha lot of raps then it might be a bug

If it happens to one rap then i could be a AP which is not working properly and they wil have to do a RMA....

• 3.  RE: Reinstall firmware RAP-2WG

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 03, 2012 07:32 PM

@3nvy wrote:

Hey folks,

I'm having some issues with some brand new RAP-2WG's not connecting. I'm receiving an error in the logs as;

rap_store_ip_map_for_downgrade error in reading flash

And from additional forum posts (http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Remote-Networking/New-batch-of-RAP-2WG-s-will-not-connect/td-p/7135) I've found a likely fix is to reinstall the firmware.

The device is currently running 5.0.4.0 and the controller is an Aruba650 running 6.1.1.0.

Now, I'm really new to Aruba gear, and this may sound silly, but I have no idea how to go about upgrading firmware on the RAP's. From what I understand, it can be done from the controller, but this won't work if I can't get the controller and the RAP's to talk nicely together until I do this firmware reinstall/update.

Can anyone give me a heads up?

Thanks,

Do these RAP2 have problems when you try to Zero-touch configure them (rapconsole)?  You should upgrade the controller to 6.1.3.5 or the latest.  6.1.1.0 is very old.

• 4.  RE: Reinstall firmware RAP-2WG

Posted Dec 03, 2012 08:47 PM

Hi folks,

Thanks for the input.

I have tried factory resetting the device a few times, no joy.

The only configuration I've attempted on these devices is using the rapconsole.arubanetworks.com web panel.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll try talk my client into letting me do a firmware upgrade sometime.

• 5.  RE: Reinstall firmware RAP-2WG
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 05, 2012 10:26 PM

Hey everyone,

Just a follow up to this; the RAP-2WG started working of its own accord. I tee'd up a time to do a firmware upgrade with my client and just left the device plugged in and didn't make any adjustments to the network for a couple of days. As I went to do the firmware upgrade today, I noted that the device is now working. I have no idea why.

I did take the opportunity to run a firmware upgrade anyhow, so we are now operating on 6.1.3.5. Here's hoping the next device I get in on Monday won't run into this issue also :)

Thanks,

-Ewan