Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

This thread has been viewed 46 times
  • 1.  Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Jan 17, 2018 10:02 AM

Hi!

Is it possible to Change a standalone 70xx with 8.2 to a master?

I've just Upgraded succesfully an 70xx to 8.2 and want to add two new 72xx as local (because of capacity reasons).

[mm] (config) #localip "10.100.231.6" ipsec "xxxxxxx"
    ERROR: Command can be executed on MASTER only.

Or is the master role only available on a MM (virtualized or hw-appliance)? But also VMM has to be licensed, right?

Thanks in advance  and kind Regards

Folke

• 2.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Jan 17, 2018 11:32 AM
    In AOS 8 you have the following options:
    - Manage your controllers using the Mobility Master (MM)which is a separate HW or Virtual appliance, but you can’t use your 7000 or 7200 as your MM
    - Configure your controller as a Mobility Controller Master (MCM) this needs to be 7030 controller or any 7200 controllers, you can’t terminate APs on the MCM
    - Standalone

Get Outlook for iOS

• 3.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Jan 17, 2018 02:36 PM

Hey Victor,

thank you for your reply. Your answer confirmed my plan.

I hat one 7030 up to today, as Standalone with 40 APs, Runnung 6.5.

Today i'ved upgraded the 7030 without any problems to 8.2, but i failed at making it to a master.

My plan is to make the 7030 a Master and both new 72xx to Locals.

I think this should work.

As you've said:7030 can be MCM, but no local APs. Shure.

But my initial question was: how to migrate in 8.2 from Standalone to Master-Local?

Then i've downgraded all 3 Controllers to 6.5 and I have added  the 72xx as Local. Everything went perfect.

Then i've tried to migrate 6.5.4.4 to 8.2.0.2 with Migration Tool 3.1.6.

It failed at step "MCM Migration", at about 75% Progress.

The Message is

[md] (config) #add-config-device 00:1A:1E:04:54:50 device-model  A7210 /md/tagwlan/ config-file /flash/config/importedConfig/10.100.231.7/default-local.cfg
    ERROR: Command can be executed on MASTER only.

**bleep**. Nearly the same Problem.

Is it a bug?

Is it not possible to make the 7030 a master?

Do i have to factory reset the 7030?

Maybe i should better no goto tac.

Kind Regards

Folke

• 4.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Jan 17, 2018 04:34 PM
    It looks like you don’t much of a config at the moment ? If this correct then you should to boot the controller from the AOS 8 partition and perform a write erase from CLI , do the same process for the 72xx controllers.

Then select the MCM option when you go through the initial console wizard on your 7030 , once you provision the controller make sure you add the local controllers .

Via the console wizard point your 7200 to the MCM

Get Outlook for iOS

• 5.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Jan 17, 2018 04:40 PM

Hey Vicor,

yeah, great answer. I have already though about a wipe of the old/current standalone controller.

Because there's a lot of config, several licenses, CPPM configuration, acls, certifiactes,  etc.. so any way to keep the config would be great. 

Otherwise: copy pasing the old "show runningconfig"  at CLI is an option i could live.

I will ask tac tomorrow and post the final solution here.

have a good night / day.

Folke

• 6.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Aug 16, 2018 07:17 PM

Folke,

Was there an answer from TAC?

• 7.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Aug 17, 2018 06:20 AM

Hi!

Yes, many answers and many more questions. TAC deployed my config into its lab and there was no error doing that upgrade. But they've used am MC-VA and there was everything ok.

Testing the upgrade took a lot of time and had to be done during off-ours. 

There was never found a solution :( So still running Rel 6.

TAC suggests to buy an MC-VA License and to use them instead of the Hardware MCM.

Kind Regards

Folke

• 8.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Jan 03, 2019 07:15 AM

Hi All,

My question is very similar to the one that is asked on this post so I just wanted to clarify further.

We are doing a new deployment on version 8 as two standalone controllers for two campuses.

We have decided to deploy this on version 8 as newer AP models will only be supported on version 8.

The customer did not have any budget to buy a mobility master this is why we are having to install two standalone systems.

I just wanted to ask if they purchased a mobility master at a later date would it be easy to add the controllers under this and create the hierarchy structure.

Would we have to re-configure the standalone controllers again to join the mobility master?

• 9.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2019 09:38 AM

Unfortunately not, there's no direct import of an AOS 8 standalone in to an MM> Without getting in to the nitty gritty details, you will need to cut and paste the standalone config elements into the/a node on the new MM, then wr erase and point the standalone to the MM and place it in the appropriate node.

• 10.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Jan 03, 2019 09:56 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. 

• 11.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Feb 24, 2019 06:12 PM

I have a standalone hardware appliance an hour + away. There's truly no way to convert this to MD without blowing it away and doing it via console? Hmm..would the controller pull DHCP if I blew it away and I could configure it via SSH with admin nopassword? It does do ZTP..I wonder if I could use activate some how..

• 12.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Sep 07, 2019 09:22 PM

I have the same question - I have a Mobility Master on 8.5.0.2 which is running well, with hardware Mobility Controller's attached.

I also have another remote Mobility Controller on 8.5.0.2 which is in standalone mode.

Is there any way to bring up the remote Mobility Controller to the MM, without physical console access?

I'm happy to blow away the config - the issue is having to get physical access with a console cable versus doing it remotely, if at all possible.

• 13.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Sep 09, 2019 04:43 AM

Hi,

The best way is going to be a console access, but there is also a feature called zero touch provisioning that is described in the following link that could help.

It is described in the following link;

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-to-setup-a-controller-using-ZTP-Zero-Touch-Provisioning-on-a/ta-p/292391

Thanks

• 14.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

Posted Nov 09, 2020 09:44 PM
    V8 is a step backwards in this respect. Aruba is following so many companies before them who add new 'features' that unnecessarily complicate or break others.

------------------------------
    Ben Carbery

• 15.  RE: Rel. 8.2: Convert Standalone to Master

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2020 05:36 AM
    Please be specific.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.