Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Remote AP-2WG

I'm trying to setup a Remote AP-2WG for testing purpose, I have a 6000 controller with SC I and AOS 5.0.3.0, I cannot see the REmote AP for provisioning, my questions are:

1.- Is this AP supported with my hardware and software configuration?

2.- Is there some document to provision and initial configuration for this AP?

Thank you

Aruba Employee

Re: Remote AP-2WG

Yes, your setup is supported.

Yes, there is documentation. Look at the 5.x User Guide in the documentation section of the support.arubanetworks.com site.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

Your setup is supported, but there are two crucial things you need to know:

The rap will only find the controller on your local network if it is on the same layer 2 subnet as the controller.

The SC platform will not allow you to do certificate-based provisioning of raps. You will need to use the instructions For Ike pre shared key and use name/password config for that rap 2. Do not use the remote ap white list method.

Zero-Touch provisioning also will not work with the SC controller, you MUST use the ipsec preshared key username/password method to provision this AP from the controller.

The ArubaOs 5 user guide chapter 7 will tell you how to set it up.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor II

AP-2WG is in the same subnet as my controller, I have configured manually the ip address for AP-2WG and also I have setup the LMS ip controller in the AP-2WG (using access by http:\\rapconsole.arubanetworks.com).

With this configuration I can't see the AP-2WG at controller ready for provisioning.

what can be wrong?

Aruba Employee

Did you add the RAP's MAC address to the RAP Whitelist?

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Guru Elite

You cannot use the white list with an SC controller.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

You cannot use rap console to provision that rap with an sc controller. It will only work with an 3000 series , m3 or 600 series controller.

You must:

Setup an Ike pre shared key in the controller along with an ipsec pool.
Setup a user name and password in the controller in the local user database
Reset the rap2 by putting a paperclip in the hole on the underside and powering it up for 10 seconds
Put the rap2 on the same layer 2 sub net as the controller
When the rap comes up provision it and set remote ap, Ike pre shared key, user name and password. Put in the public ip address of the controller in the master controller ip address field and click on provision.

Colin Joseph

Aruba Employee

cjoseph wrote:
You cannot use the white list with an SC controller.

Sorry, my bad. Never tried it with an SC. I assumed that part of the config was the same.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Frequent Contributor II

Hi cjoseph, Thank you very much for your suggestions, may be tomorrow I'll try it. Only one more question, after resetting the rap2 and provision it as a remote ap at controller the rap2 normally reboots, is it after this reboot when I can put the rap2 at remote location? Thanks
Aruba Employee

"after resetting the rap2 and provision it as a remote ap at controller the rap2 normally reboots, is it after this reboot when I can put the rap2 at remote location?"

Yes.

Only thing you need to make sure is, the provisioned 'master' IP address is reachable from the remote location.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: