Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

Posted Dec 20, 2012 04:48 PM

I would like to know which is the most recommended aproach for this when you deploying remote APS like 105, 93, etc... not the Zero touch.

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2012 06:51 PM

If you do it via certificate, you can manage the AP name as well as the AP group.  Security is better also, because they do not share a key...

• 3.  RE: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

Posted Dec 20, 2012 07:27 PM

Thanks for the asnwer Colllin

Just one last question

It is more secure even if im using hte default one on the controller? i mean im not uploading any certificate for now im just using the one coming with the controller...

Actually is faster to configure with just the certificate i guess... or at lesat i see it like it.

I ask you this because i have seem like most of the clients with remote AP using preshared key(didnt set it myself as i have been doing it with the certificate on the deployments i have done) but i was asking what would be the most secure, between those 2.  knowing im using the certificate that comes with the Aruba controller.

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2012 07:43 PM

The certificate is in the AP.  Nothing has to be uploaded into the controller.

• 5.  RE: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

Posted Dec 20, 2012 07:48 PM

ohhhh

so using that certificate that has the AP is more secure than using preshared key then?

It just that i would like to recommend this to a client htat got  tons of Remote AP..... and they are a bank.... but they got it with presharedkey.

Well they are running the 5.x version the lastest one i guess... as thats what it support their controller

• 6.  RE: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2012 07:52 PM

It needs to be a 3000 series, M3 or a 7000 series controller.  It can work on 5.x. or 6.x

The only APs that support certificates are 90 series, 104,105, 135, 125, RAP5, Rap2, RAP3

• 7.  RE: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 20, 2012 07:56 PM

Well im doing it with a small 600 series(6.1.3.5)  i configure it with a 105 AP(and it seesm it worked)

I used well the ap wizard selected certificate... and well added it to the rap whilist and well its working)

But if the certiicate is not supported for the APS ap 65 they got well nothing to do there...

I ll be installing 2 new APS 105 but they will be facing to a old aruba 200...

We are quoting him a 3600 for their new site for next year... at the end those old aps will be replaced with 105.

• 8.  RE: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2012 08:04 PM

The 600 does work with certificate-based RAPs, sorry.  The 200 will only work with preshared.

• 9.  RE: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

Posted Dec 20, 2012 08:06 PM

Thanks Collin!
    Guess it would be recommmened when they get their new controller and new APS to be configured with the certificate as for what you told me right?

• 10.  RE: Remote AP Certificate or preshared key

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2012 06:01 AM

Yes.